Driving without wheels,
Flying without wings
High-speed rail technology; train is suspended on a
magnetic cushion above a magnetized track and so
travels free of friction
➔Basic Principle of Maglev Trains
➔Types of Maglev Trains
➔Flash File( about working of Maglev )
Maglev=Magnetic + Levitation.
Any thing which may levitate(raise or float) by means of a magnetic power is simply called
as magnetic levitation.
• Maglev is noiseless ,friction less , and require no maintenance.
• The lack of friction allow maglev vehicle to travel at a speed over 300 miles/hr.
• Electrified transport reduces pollution.
The term ‘MAGLEV’ can be briefly explained by using an example
of ‘MAGLEV TRAINS’.
Basic Principle of Maglev Trains
Maglev trains have to perform the following functions to operate
in high speeds
3. Lateral Guidance
• Levitation is a process by which an object is suspended
by a physical force against gravity.
• For example, a superconducting sample, which can be
considered either as a perfect diamagnet or an ideally
hard superconductor, easily levitates in an ambient
external magnetic field.
• Propulsion is a means of creating force leading to
• Maglev uses magnetic levitation to suspend, guide and
propel vehicles with magnets rather than using
• Maglevs need a guidance force to keep the vehicle on
• It is obtained with the levitation electromagnets of
• These are designed a/c to the rails and then clever
placement of the electromagnets with respect to the
rails is done.
Types of Maglev Trains
Based on the technique used for Leviation the
are two types of Maglev trains
1. Electromagnetic Suspension -Attractive
2. Electrodynamic Suspension -repulsive
New type of EDS
Electromagnetic Suspension uses electromagnets to leviate the train
Electrodynamic Suspension uses Superconductors for leviation, propulsion and lateral
Due to its successfull implementation.
We will only study EMS
Let's learn it better from a Flash file