Intensive vs. Extensive Reading
Intensive reading – reading in detail with specific
learning aims and tasks.
• This is what we will do in class.
Extensive reading - reading longer texts (e.g. books) for
pleasure and to develop general reading skills.
• You will do this by yourself outside of class.
Benefits of Extensive Reading
• increase reading speed
• improve reading comprehension (understanding)
• development of grammatical and vocabulary
• improvement of writing skills
• improvement of listening & speaking skills
During the semester:
• read 50,000+ words (approximately five intermediate level books)
• minimum four books (but you can read more!)
• ‘graded readers’ – short books (fiction & non-fiction) with
different levels of difficulty
To improve your reading speed and enjoyment:
• choose books where you know about 95% of the words
• about 1 in 20 words should be unfamiliar (1 word every
2 or 3 lines)
• too easy boring!
• too difficult not enjoyable to read, and too much
time stopping to look up words in the dictionary
Borrow them from:
Yonsei Central Library
Humanities Books section – 2nd floor
Buy them from:
Yonsei bookstore, Kyobo, Bandi & Luni’s etc…
Worth 10% of your final grade
• 2 points per 10,000 words
• 20,000 words before midterm exam period; total 50,000+ by the
end of the semester
How to get points:
• pass the book quiz on Mreader.org (DO THIS BY YOURSELF!)
• only one chance to do the quiz
• 15 minutes per quiz (you can look at the book while doing the
• DON’T open the quiz until you are ready to do it!!
• maximum one quiz every 24 hours
• The goal of the Mreader quiz is to check your reading
comprehension – therefore you must do the reading
quiz by yourself!!
• Don’t get help from a friend or help a friend to do the quiz – this
• I can track cheating, and if you cheat, you will not get points for
reading the book – this means you could lose up to 10% from
your final grade!!
• Important: I won’t tell you during the semester if I catch cheating
– you will only find out at the end. You won’t get a chance to
make up the missed points.