The No-Touch Ban
Is this the easy way out for schools?
Take time to teach healthy vs.
unhealthy relationship patterns
Suspending Kids for Hugging
“I think we should be able to hold hands or hug at
least,” Annie Wilson, 12, told the Bulletin in Bend.
“Because it’s not doing anything bad.”
Cazz, a student, says the rule is dumb and “Hugging is
like a sign of affection”
Healthy Vs. Unhealthy Touch
• Harlow Study
• Teaching students to keep boundaries and
respect for others
• When touching should be punished
• The key is to educate!!!!!
• This is not a black and white issue
Teen Relationship Abuse
• How to spot Relationship Abuse
•No when to say “NO!”
Teen Abuse Statistics
• 33% of teens report some abuse
• 12% report physical abuse
• Teen relationship abuse is same as adult in
that it consists of mental, emotional, sexual,
and physical violence.
• Abuse is across all relationships both straight,
gay, bi-sexual, and transgendered
• The outcome of abuse is seen in poor grades,
taking sexual risks, substance abuse, and a
higher rate of pregnancy
• Teens don’t always understand what abuse is
so they need to be taught
• Teens need to know to go to a parent,
counselor, or domestic violence crisis line for
• Source: WebMD
Healthy Teen Relationships
• Choose Respect
• Trust and Support
• Respect each other’s independence
Why Talk to kids before they start
• According to the CDC, It is important for teens
to talk and ask questions because they need
to learn about positive dating skills.
• Teach them respect – Showing feelings of
concern for the well-being of another person
• Anger Management
• Compromise – Turn into a win-win
• Assert not Aggressive -
Should schools re-consider a complete
ban on touching?
• What is political and what is in the best interests
of the students?
• Have we talked to students more about how this
• What happens to healthy development when
sports and recess are taken away from students?
• In a world that is becoming more isolating is
taking away healthy affection going to increase
violent anti-social behaviors?