Control what you can control on page seo ftw wcchi - tuna traffic
CONTROL WHAT YOU CAN CONTROL IN WORDPRESS.
ON PAGE SEO FTW!
(FOR THE WIN)
A Talk By:
Saravanan “Sud” Shanmugabaskaran of
WHO AM I?
Director of Client Solutions
WHAT WILL WE COVER?
• Natural Keyword Rich Content
• Open Graph Tags
• Title Text
• SEO Friendly URLs
• Why the Meta Description still
• Meta Keywords are useless but
can be useful
• Semantic Markup & Heading Tags
• Microdata, Microformats, RDFa &
• Google+ Authorship
• Canonical URL
• Anchor text & Title Text for Links
• Alt Text, Title Text & File Naming
• How to use Nofollow and Noindex
• XML Sitemaps
• Why comments are gold
• Social Authority
Content was the PAST. Context is the PRESENT.
Enhanced Google Search VS Normal Google Search
Optimized On Page SEO
Controlling What You Can Control
NATURAL KEYWORD RICH CONTENT
• There is a point in Google’s Bell Curve where your SEO
will be hurt by over optimization.
• Follow the guideline of using a variant of your keyword
1-3 times a paragraph.
• Fresh Tuna
• Gourmet Fresh Tuna
• Fresh Tuna for Sale
SEO FRIENDLY URLS
• Set your permalinks to: /%category%/%postname%
• Other variants will work depending on how much
content you have or will have.
• Strip the category base from category URLS using
How to set your Permalinks to be SEO Friendly.
SEMANTIC MARKUP & HEADING TAGS
• Use your target keyword phrase in your <title> and <h1> but
• WordPress SEO makes it easy to customize both separately.
• <H1> is your page title and <title> is set under SEO Title in
the WordPress SEO settings.
• Use <hgroup> tag to create Semantic Headings when using
multiple heading tags.
• Use your Heading Tags to make your content easy to read
for Search Engines and visitors.
WHY THE META DESCRIPTION STILL
• The Meta Description does NOT impact your SERP
(Search Engine Ranking Position).
• The Meta Description DOES impact a user’s decision on
what link a user decides to click on and used for other
items such as Open Graph Tags.
• Use %%excerpt%% to auto generate a meta description
in the Titles & Metas settings in WordPress SEO.
• Use this as a safe guard for when you forget to write
How to have WordPress SEO auto generated Meta
OPEN GRAPH PROTOCOL
• Customizes what platforms such as: Facebook,
Google Plus, LinkedIn, etc use to determine
what to share with users on their network.
META KEYWORDS ARE USELESS BUT
CAN BE USEFUL
• Google & Bing do NOT use them so neither should
• If you know your competitors are watching your
every move, you can use Meta Keywords to throw
• OR BETTER YET...Look at what keywords your
competitors “think” they are optimizing for.
MICRODATA, MICROFORMATS, RDFA &
• This topic goes very deep because of competing
• Microdata - HTML5 http://schema.org &
• Microformat - Old format http://microformats.org
• RDFa - (Resource Description Framework – in –
attributes) W3C Recommendation
THE GOOGLE+ AUTHORSHIP SETUP
• On Google+ add your site as a site you contribute
• In WP, go to your WordPress profile and paste in
your Google+ url.
• In WordPress SEO settings Under Titles & Metas set
the Google+ Author highlighting for your home
• Tells Search Engines which URL is the absolute correct URL
• Prevents you from having duplicate content.
• example: www.google.com, google.com or,
google.com/?foo...Canonical lets you define which one
is Google should consider the absolute url.
• Canonical URLs are set by WP core for post/pages and
WordPress SEO handles tags, categories, etc. WordPress
SEO allows you to set a different Canonical URL for a
ANCHOR TEXT & TITLE TEXT FOR LINKS
• Title text tells the search engine what the linked url
• Anchor text tells the search engine what the link is
• Link Example:
• <a href=”http://google.com” title=”World’s Best
Search Engine”>the world’s best search
ALT TEXT, TITLE TEXT & FILE NAMING
• Name your files with spaces (or %20) or dashes.
• Underscores appear as onelongword to Search
• Alt text describes an image.
• You can use title text on an image.
• IMG Example
• <img src=”http://google.com/logo.jpg” title=”Google
Logo” alt=”Google’s Red, & White, Blue Logo”>
HOW TO USE NOFOLLOW AND NOINDEX
• Nofollow prevents links from passing “link juice” to
the page they are linking to.
• Noindex prevents the Search Engine from indexing
• Nofollow & Noindex your goal tracking pages.
• Seriously consider no indexing your tag and/or
category pages to prevent duplicate content.
• Gives Search Engines a road map across your site.
This includes your content, how frequently it
changes, when it was last updated, and relative
priority for your site.
• You can create Sitemaps specifically for: video,
images, mobile, & news.
• Make sure you submit to Google via Google
WHY COMMENTS ARE STILL GOLD
• Commentators create content for you
• Some Third Party Comment Systems like Facebook
or Livefyre allow visitors to post their comments on
their social network
• Asking commentators to opt in to your email list still
works well for building your email lists
• Search Engines use Social Indicators to influence
users clicks and SERP
• Bing: Facebook Integration
• Google: G+ Integration
• Social Share Counts add credibility to your content
to Search Engines & visitors.
HOW TO ADD SOCIAL SHARING
• Use a Plugin that you can trust and loads your
social sharing buttons FAST. My top 3 are:
• Digg Digg 2.0
• Share This
• Must Use Networks: Google Plus, FB, Twitter
THE WORDPRESS PLUGIN SETUP
• WordPress SEO by Yoast
• Jetpack, Digg Digg 2.0, or Share This
• Schema Creator by Raven
• SEO Friendly Images
• SEO Smart Links
• Google Analytics for WordPress
PREMIUM WORDPRESS PLUGINS
• SEO Smart Links – Premium Edition
• Video SEO for WordPress
• Local SEO for WordPress