4. General Rules
1. You may enter the laboratory only with a
2. Act safely in the laboratory by walking
and being aware of others.
3. Wear covered leather shoes.
4. Wear long hair tied back.
5. 5. Wear safety glasses and protective
clothing on the instruction of the teacher.
6. If you wear contact lenses let your teacher
7. Conduct only the experiment authorised
by your teacher.
8. Respect other people’s work.
6. The Use of Equipment and Apparatus
1. Do not touch broken glass. Your teacher will
remove and place broken glass in bin provided.
2. Always use a holder when heating substances
in a test tube; slant test tube away from
yourself and others.
3. Use only matches or tapers
to light Bunsen burners.
7. 4. Always use a fire proof mat under heating
apparatus and all hot objects.
5. Always have at least one person supervising
6. Keep matches and Bunsen burners away
from flammable liquids e.g. methylated
7. After using electrical apparatus – switch off
and pull out the plug.
8. The Use of Chemicals
1. Test the odour of gases only by wafting the
vapour carefully towards you with your hand.
2. Always check labels before using chemicals.
3. Never taste chemicals.
4. Hold jars or bottles by the base.
9. Cleanliness and Tidiness
1. Keep your bench space dry and clear of books
and pencil cases.
2. All solid waste to be placed in a bin.
3. Glassware should be washed and dried
thoroughly before placing
back on the shelves.
10. 4. Return apparatus or chemicals to the
correct storage place in laboratory.
5. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap
and water after using chemicals or
1. If your skin or eye comes in contact with a
strong chemical, wash IMMEDIATELY with
2. Burns should be washed IMMEDIATELY with
3. Cuts – report to your teacher.
12. 4. Fire – report at once to your teacher.
5. ANY MISHAP, BURN, SCALD, CUT, EYE
INJURY, BROKEN GLASS, SPILLS, ETC MUST
BE REPORTED IMMEDIATELY TO THE
13. Draw the Science Laboratory
– Teachers Desk
– Paper Towel
– Emergency Exits
– Fire Extinguisher
– Fire Blanket
– Sand Bucket
– Glass Bin
– Eye Wash
– First Aid Kit
– Rubbish Bin
– Electricity cut off
– Main gas switch
– Goggles and aprons