HOW TO USE A VIDEO
This project has been funded with support from the European Commission.
This publication reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for
any use which may be made of the information contained therein.
HOW TO USE A VIDEO CAMERA?
• Video cameras are used
primarily in two modes. The
first, characteristic of much
early television, is what might
be called a live broadcast,
where the camera feeds
images directly to a screen for
immediate observation; The
second is to have the images
recorded to a storage device
for archiving or further
• The main function of the video
camera is filming, but this tool
also lets you taking pictures
even when shooting.
• It can record images and
sound on a single medium.
There are two types of
cameras, the analog camera
lets you record your video on
tape (Video 8, VHS), and
digital camera that record
information in digital
compressed format that can
then be saved on the
BEFORE USING YOUR VIDEO CAMERA
• Learn where the record button
is on your camera. Some units
have more than one.
• Learn where the recording
indicator (usually a red light) is
• Practice inserting and ejecting
new tapes/memory cards.
• Read your camcorder's
manual about color balance.
• Learn how to zoom in and
zoom out smoothly.
• Learn the zoom capabilities of your lens. Become familiar with the
widest (least zoomed) shot you can take, compared with the tightest
(most zoomed) shot.
• Look at a scene and try to figure out where the frame line of your shot
would be for both a wide and a tight shot. Then take your camcorder
and see how close you came.
• Continue to practice matching your "mind's eye" margins with the
actual ones your lens produces until you get it right most of the time.
• Use your manual to find out about other camera status indicators:
what they mean and where they're located.
• Find out if you can control the sound level as you record. If so, learn
how to adjust it as you shoot, so you don't interrupt a good shot to set
• Rehearse switching from one battery to another or from a battery to
your battery eliminator. These are sometimes tricky, and if you don't
get them in just right, they won't fit.
• Learn accessory control.
HOW TO TURN IT ON?
• Install batteries on your
• Locate the power-on switch.
Learn what position it must be
to turn on the camera system.
• Find out if the power-on switch
has two settings: one for
recording and one for
playback. Become thoroughly
familiar with which is which.
HOW TO DO A VIDEO?
• If you want to make a video,
make sure that your battery is
charged and there is a
tape/memory card in your
camera. You turn the button to
the position power on. Target
well the scene you want to
shoot, then press the red
button to shoot. To stop filming
again press the red button, the
whole scene is recorded.
• For reviewing the scene that
you have recorded, use the
playback mode after
rewinding. For advancing
press the forward button
"FF/skip" to rewind press
HOW CAN I GET THE VIDEO TO MY
• To transfer videos from your
video camera to the computer,
you must use the transfer
cable supplied with the v.c.
and make a simple copy /
paste from the memory of a
videocam to a folder on your
• You need to make sure your
computer has a connection for
firewire. If you have to buy one
you'll need to make sure you
get the right size for your
computer and camcorder
• If your movies are saved to a
small memory card then you
will also need a USB cable to
upload your pictures, not
necessary in case your
computer is provided with a
memory card input device.
HOW CAN I WATCH MY VIDEO?
• It is possible to watch your videos on your computer only is you
have some programs intalled that permits the view like windows
media-player, VLC player, pinnacle studio, quick time player, etc.,
some of them are free some require a fee to download.
• To view the videos on your PC, open the folder where you have
transferred it and click on with the left mouse button or choose the
programme with which you like to view it.
• Some of those programs permits you also to do video editing.
HOW DO I GET THE VIDEO TO THE WEB
• To publish your videos publish your videos on the web you have to
use sharing websites like youtube or vimeo. Go on those websites,
register you personal data and follow the instructions to upload your
• For example if you load a video on a sharing website like YouTube
you must go to the website portal. At the top of the page, you just
have to create your personal account with your name, age, e-mail
address and choose a password. Whenever you access to the
account, you must enter your password.
• Once your personal account is created, you will receive a
confirmation e-mail from the website you chose.To upload a video
you have to select the option "upload video" and follow the
instructions. Within minutes, the video will be uploaded and
available on line.
WHERE CAN I FIND THE VIDEOS ON THE
• If you want to find videos on the web search engines or specific
video web sites can help you.
• Search engines like google or yahoo provide you directly with a
specific research of videos, but you can also type on the searching
bar the content you need specifying that is a video.
• Or you can go directly to a video web site like you tube
or daily motion, etc. and type your research.
• To find your videos on the web just go to the website
where you stored them, sign in with your name and
password so you can have a direct access of all your