Role of Social Media
Santosh Kumar Kori
Govt. College Makronia, Sagar M.P.
What is Social Media
• The term social media refers to a computer-based
technology that facilitates the sharing of ideas, thoughts,
and information through virtual networks and communities.
• social media is a wide concept that covers a wide range of
Internet applications that support social communication
between persons. This kind of communication can either be
direct or indirect.
What Is the Use of Social Media?
Social media is feature of web 2.0. its allows individuals
to keep in touch with friends and extended family.
Some people will use various social media applications to
network and find career opportunities, connect with
people across the globe with like-minded interests, and
share their own thoughts, feelings, and insights online.
Main Reasons for Using Social Media
• Keeping in Touch with Friends
• Filling Spare Time
• Reading News Stories
• Finding Contents ( Videos, Articles, Educations lectures)
• Finding Product to Purchases
• Watching Live Streams
• Sharing and Discussing Opinions With Friends
• Making New Concepts
• Posting About Your Life
Use at the organizational level
• inform their opinions to public
• interact with citizens
• foster citizen participation
• further open government
• analyze/monitor public opinion and activities
Law enforcement and investigations
• Social media has been used extensively in civil and criminal
investigations. It has also been used to assist in searches for missing
• Businesses can use social media tools for marketing research,
communication, sales promotions/discounts, informal employee-
learning/organizational development, relationship
Social media marketing
• Social media marketing is the use of social media platforms and
websites to promote a product or service and also to establish a
connection with its customers.
• Teachers engaged in learning, creating deeper interactions between
teachers and students and expanding learning communities beyond
Advantages of Social Media to Teachers and Students
Educational Benefits of Social Media
Easy sharing of Information
Any time Connectivity
Sharing Information & Knowledge
It's easy to use
Social Media Tools
The most prominent social media site in the world,
simple and free way for educators to network with
with the latest education news and issues, and share ideas
Everyone knows about Twitter. But did you know that
popular social networking site can be employed for
This famous social networking site has been in the news lately,
and not in a positive light. Nevertheless, Instagram’s popularity makes it a
natural for teaching.
A free networking site by teachers, for teachers, that features
moderated community forums with topics including careers, literacy, mental
wellness for educators, and more.
A free Wordpress blogging site that lets teachers create personal and
A terrific free site devoted to promoting reading, Litpick connects
readers with age-appropriate books and book reviews. Kids can read their
peers’ book reviews or write their own.
Bring engaging and educational movie and television clips into your
classroom with ClassHook.
A well-known, established social media community, Edmodo
provides a free and safe social media and LMS platform with a highly useful
suite of moderation tools.
WhatsApp is an internationally available freeware,
cross- platform, centralized instant messaging and
voice-over-IP service owned by US tech
conglomerate Meta. It allows users to send text
and voice messages, make voice and video calls,
and share images, documents, user locations, and
Messenger is a globally accessible freemium, cross-
platform, encrypted, cloud-based and centralized instant
YouTube is a global online video sharing and social media
platform headquartered in San Bruno, California. It was launched
on February 14, 2005.
The world’s biggest social media platforms
1. Facebook has 2.958 billion monthly active users.
2. YouTube’s potential advertising reach is 2.514 billion.
3. WhatsApp has at least 2 billion monthly active users.
4. Instagram has 2 billion monthly active.
5. WeChat has 1.309 billion monthly active users.
The world’s biggest social media platforms
6. TikTok ads can potentially reach 1.051 billion adults
over the age of 18 each month
7. Facebook Messenger’s potential advertising reach is 931 million.
8. Douyin has 715 million(c) monthly active users.
9. Telegram has 700 million monthly active users.
10. Snapchat’s potential advertising reach is 635 million.
The use of social media in education helps everyone to get more
valuable information and connect with learning groups and
educational establishments. As a student one can take classes
through the residence and talk over doubts, questions through
various social media networking platforms.
The use of social media in education helps students, teachers and
parents to get more useful information, to connect with learning
groups and other educational systems that make education
Use a Facebook Page to broadcast updates and
Attract new students.
Use a Facebook Group to stream live lectures and
Use Twitter as a class message board.
Use Instagram for photo essays.
Create a class blog for discussions.
Assign blog posts as essays.
Create a class-specific Pinterest board.
Social media for education marketing
Include social media links on your school website.
Share school events and photos.
Create interest-based Facebook Groups.
Create a social media crisis strategy.
Manage your accounts all under one roof.
Engage with alumni network