INDIAN EFFORTS TOWARDS CONSERVATION OF BIODIVERSITY
SANJIB ROY TGT--BIOLOGY
AMITABHA BISWAS PGT--BIOLOGY
K. K. S. M. H/S. SCHOOL
WHAT IS BIODIVERSITY?
•WHAT IS CONSERVATION?
Ministry of Environment & Pollution (MOEP) enlisted 47000
plants & 81000 animals comprising 7% and 6.5% of world’s
Flora & Fauna.
India is one of the most important among the 12
Magadiversity Countries of the World.
Main Points of Discussions
Main Purpose of
Conservation of Biodiversity.
Reasons for Loss of
Main technique to
Consrevation of Biodiversity.
The steps or efforts taken in
India to save Biodiversity.
MAIN PURPOSE OF CONSERVATION OF
1. To continue & sustain the
2. To sustain Variety of gene
3. Developement of Tourism.
4. Medicinal use for the benefit
5. To Maintain economic
6. Conservation of food
7. To save social values.
8. To save Ethical values.
9. To save optional values.
10. To save endangered
species,rare species &
THE MAIN REASON FOR LOSS OF BIODIVERSITY
1. Destruction of habitate or Loss and Fragmentation of
2. Hunting for economic Purpose.
3. Over Exploitation.
4. For the Purpose of Scientific research and zoo Collection.
5. Control of Paste and Predators.
7. Introduction of Exotic Species.
8. Climate Change.
9. Natural Calamities. Etc.
OTHER MODES OF CONSERVATION
Strict Legal action againist poaching.
Proper Implementation of Acts to save Bio-
THE STEPS OR EFFORTS TAKEN IN INDIA TO SAVE
1. Establishment of Ministry of environment & forest 1980.
2. Establishment of Protected area:
Sanctuary – 500
National Park 92
3. Establishment of forest survey of India 1981
Botanical survey of India 1890(Cal).
Zoological survey of India.
4. Establishment of medicinal plant conservation area(MPCA).
5. Establishment Plant development area(MPDA).
6. Establishment of national Plants gene bank
7. Establishment of WWF India.
8.Establishment of Bombay Natural History sciety 1983.
9. Establishment of TRAFFIC INDIA 1991.
10. Announcement of 13 Biosphere
11. Membership of convention on
International trade in endangered
species of world flora & fauna.
IN CASE OF EX-SITU CONSERVATION:
1. Establishment of NBAGR (National Bureau of animal
genetic resources. Karnel,Hariyana.
2. NFPTCR (Ntional facility for plant tissue culture
repository) conservation of plant variety through tissue
3. NBPGR (National Bureau of plant genetic resources)
New Delhi,for Criogenic preservation of seed.
1. Madras wildlife Acts 1873.
2. All India elephant preservation Act 1879
3. The wild Birds and animals Protection Act 1912.
4. Bengal Rhinoceros preservation Act 1932.
5. Assam Rhinoceros preservation Act 1954.
6. All India wildlife protection Act 1972 ammended in
7. Bio-Diversity Act 2002.
8. Environment protection Act 1996.
ESTABLISHMENT OF -
Central pollution control Board.
State pollution Control Board.
National Committee for environment protaction.
Introduce the environment impact assesement
National resource accounting and life cycle
assessment through setelite.