1. What is the ratio of length to breadth used in the town planning of Harappan cities in the
third millennium BC also mentioned in the vastu shastra texts?
2. It is said that a supercontinent existed between 1.1 billion and 750 million years ago, in the
Neoproterozoic Era. What is this supercontinent called?
3. Which of the following was not a city in the Indus Valley civilisation?
4. Which modern day Indian gesture is also seen in clay figurines excavated from Harappan
a. The Namaste
b. Touching of the feet of elders
5. The earliest mention of Iron can be found in which of the four Vedas?
a. Krishna ayas – dark bronze in Atharva Veda 1700 BC
e. Atharva Veda
6. How many hymns from the Rig Veda are sung in praise of the River Saraswati?
7. Written in a language that is almost identical to that of the Rig Veda, what is the oldest and
most sacred text of the Zoroastrian religion
a. The Avesta
b. Pahlavi Texts
8. Arjuna, one of the Pandav brothers made his way to Manipur during his exile where he
married a warrior princess. What was her name?
9. By what other names is Kautilya known?
10. Chandragupta, who first gained power after capturing the rich Ganges Valley, went on to
create what ancient Indian empire with his son and grandson?
a. The Maratha Empire
b. The Mauryan Empire
c. The Mughal Empire
11. Why did Akbar shift his capital city from Fatehpur Sikri to Agra?
a. The walls of the city were not strong enough to withstand attack
b. The water supply was deemed unreliable
Buddha was attracted to this place for the fact that it is a major highway crossing. What spot
c. Bodh Gaya
13. Now a major urban village in New Delhi, this was a large reservoir built by Alauddin Khilji to
supply water to the city. What is it called?
a. Shahpur Jat
b. Hauz Khas
This Kizhthali Shiva Temple was originally built by Chera kings in the 2nd century BC, it was
damaged by the Portuguese and then by Tipu Sultan's army in the 18th century. Where is it
a. Muzaris, Kerala
b. Trimbak, Maharashtra
c. Bhelupura, Varanasi
15. A direct descendant of Genghis Khan from his mother’s side and Taimur the lame on his
father’s side, name this Turko-Mongol adventurer.
a. Alauddin Khilji
c. Sher Shah Suri
One of Delhi’s most confusing monuments, most historians consider it to be the ruins of
Sultan Muhammad bin Tughlaq's palace complex. What is this monument called?
a. Gol Gumbad
b. Chausanth Khamba
c. Bijay Mandal
17. In which year did the East India Company set up its first factory in Surat, Gujarat?
18. Written around the mid-1st
century BC, this Greek text by an unknown writer describes
navigation and trading opportunities from Roman Egyptian ports like Berenice along the Red
Sea and the Indian subcontinent. What is the text called?
a. Bibliotheca historica
b. Periplus Maris Erythraei
19. This historical Sanskrit play by Vishakhadatta narrates the ascent of King Chandragupta
Maurya to power in Northern India. What is it called?
20. It is common knowledge that Queen Frontman Freddie Mercury was born into a Parsi Family
in 1946 as Farrokh Balsara. Where was he born?