• Established on 26th June 1973 with bed
strength of 50.
• The Institute became Autonomous on 8th
• The Government of India has accorded the
status of a Regional Cancer Centre on 1st
• The Indian Council of Medical Research has
recognized this referral Institution as a research
• Believes that hospital is to maintain the
highest quality of services of curative,
restorative and preventive services to all
• Believes that it is expected to render high
standards of patient care in the hospital.
• Believes that research activities in the field of
oncology provide the patients with a new ray
• KMIO will be regarded as one of the excellent
oncology institutes, grounded in rich medical
and nursing heritage of love for humanity,
churning out to deliver world class treatment
at affordable price to the patients through
highly qualified and dedicated professionals
who are committed to serve humanity
through continued research in the field of
• Health care service in KMIO works to provide
excellent health care services in Karnataka
through a group of distinctive staff according
to the national standards of quality for all
• To educate the public about cancer, its causes,
prevention and early detection.
• To provide curative service to the cancer
• To provide the palliative service to the
critically ill cancer patients.
Ward in charges
Shift in charges
KMIO is a state autonomous institute. State
government provides the assistance with
filling the staff requirement. Advertisement
regarding recruitment will be published in all
news papers and the selection will be based
on qualification and experience of the job
seekers. Decisions regarding promotion will be
taken by the Director of KMIO.
STAFF WELFARE PROGRAMME
Regular CNE’s are conducted on monthly
basis. Staff’s are deputed for higher education
with salary once during their service period.
Staff nurses who complete their M Sc. nursing
degree have to work in clinical area as well as
in the nursing college as a part time lecturer.
• The nurse patient ratio followed in the
hospital as enumerated below:
• In medical wards 1:10
• In surgical wards 1:10
• In ICU’s 1:3
• The annual budget - Rs.19 Crores.
• Expenditure on Salaries and Administrative
over heads - Rs.9.50 Crores.
• The Government of Karnataka - Rs. 10 Crores.
• Annually the Government of India is releasing
Rs.75 lakhs for purchase of Medical
Facilities at KMIO
Multi-disciplinary Out-patient Block
Radiation Sterilization Plant
SERVICES FOR PATIENT CARE:
• Mobile Cancer Education & Detection Unit (MCEDU):
conducts Cancer Education & Detection Camps in rural, semi
urban & urban areas of Karnataka and in the neighboring areas
of other States. For this purpose a special mobile bus fitted
with mass miniature radiography and PAP test facility is used.
• Cancer Control Activities
• Cancer Detection Clinic
• Perpetual Free Feeding Endowment Donation Scheme
• Kidwai Cancer Drug Foundation
• Shanthidhama:The Shantidhama - " A Rehabilitation and
Continuing Care Centre" is a unique project for managament of
cancer patients. In this centre the patients are offered all
diagnostic and treatment services and also psychological,
spiritual, rehabilitation and occupation therapy services.
• Anti-tobacco cell
• Blood Transfusion Services
• Blood Irradiator (BI-2000)
Committees for patient care
In cases where the total treatment cost
becomes too heavy such patients are
financially assisted by various schemes like
Free drugs from the Institute, Karnataka Chief
Minister's Medical Relief fund, Poor Patients
Welfare Fund, children Welfare Fund, Kidwai
Cancer Drug Foundation, etc. The anti-cancer
drugs sold at Kidwai Cancer Drug Foundation'
are 40 to 60% cheaper than the market rates.