• Significant and sustainable improvements in the
quality and efficiency of health and social care
can be obtained trough the procurement of
R&D services that can lead to solutions and
technologies that do not yet exist and that will
outperform the solutions available on market
Accelerating the Development of the eHealth Market in Europe
eHealth Taskforce report 2007
Information Society and Media
• First project. e-dis Dysphagia Tele-Rehabilitation
• Projects in development and assessment.
• Last challenge: e-blood Living Lab.
• Conclusion: R2R methodology for e-Innovation.
• Where & How: SP-KC & ACO
Why exercise with ?
It exits evidence that swallow
musculature increase strength/tone
with non-swallow excercises and
increased strength/tone translates into
• Clark H: Therapeutic exercise in dysphagia management: philosophies, practices, and challenges. Perspectives on swallowing and
swallowing disorders. Newsletter for the Dysphagia Special Interest Division of the American Speech-Language-Hearing
Association 14(2):24–27, 2005
• Logemann J: The role of exercise programs for dysphagia patients. Dysphagia 20(2):139–140, 2005.
• Robbins J et al. The effects of lingual exercise on swallowing in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005;53(9):1483-9.
• Burkhead LM et al. Strength-Training Exercise in Dysphagia Rehabilitation: Principles,Procedures, and Directions for Future
Research. Dysphagia 2007; 22: 251–65.
How much costs a dysphagic pt?
Presential Distance treatment
• Videofluoroscopy: 381,25 € • Videofluoroscopy: 381,25 €
• Dysphagia clinical evaluation • Dysphagia clinical evaluation
and treatment: 146,80€ x pt and treatment:
• Transportation if needed x 15 • 19,57€ (2 inhospital
• 1 therapist / 2 pts: 63,61€
• Total cost: 83,18€ x pt
• Transportation if needed x
• Computer: 304,99€
• Modem + internet connection: 30€/month
Projects in development & assessment.
Last challenge: e-blood Living Lab
Simulator for theoretical assessments.
R2R methodology for e-Innovation.
Health System and authorities
Users of Hospital
Care Medical / Business / Technology
as a driver of innovation at
Sant Pau University Hospital
• Platform of Innovation - Mision
Sant Pau - Knowledge Center (SP-KC)
Center of Biotechnological Knowledge and Industrialists Demonstrator for
Innovation in Public Health
• To improve patient care by facilitating collaboration among patients, scientists,
engineers/technologists and clinicians
• To catalyze the discovery, development and implementation of innovative technologies
• Emphasizing minimally invasive approaches, e-health and primary care
Funded: 1.3 M Euros:
NATIONAL PLAN OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH, DEVELOPMENT AND
TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATION (2008-2011)
The need and the opportunity – Sant
Pau’s Knowledge Centre (SP-KC)
• A „Multi-tasking Simulation Environment‟
• an area that could simulate one or more real-
world health-related settings, allowing rigorous • Citizens
testing and rapid improvement of eHealth
innovations before they are introduced into real
• equipped with high-capacity graphic
workstations with supercomputing and server
capabilities, data gathering equipment • A „Demonstrator Area‟
(cameras, video network processors, etc.), • Space for the
high-quality printing devices, complete demonstration of
hardware for the simulation of various modular ‘e-Health the products
environments, testing and observation rooms, generated in the
• Laboratory laboratory itself or
and work stations.
industry or other
• Demonstrator wish to convene its
products and its
audiences in an
ACO: Accountable Care Organizations
Leadership ? EMERGENCY
Accountable care organizations
Accountable care organizations: A new idea for managing Medicare
The goal of ACOs is to encourage physicians and hospitals to
integrate care by holding them jointly responsible for Medicare
quality and costs.
By Jane Cys, amednews correspondent. Posted Aug. 31, 2009
The ACO also would need a designated administrator and a formal
organization that could serve as a point of contact, work with
payers, monitor performance and collect any shared savings. The
physicians, hospital and other ACO members would need to agree
on how to divide any earned bonuses.
Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice and the Engelberg Center for
Health Care Reform at Brookings Institution
• e-Innovation procurement
• Traslational Research
• Living labs platforms (Tech + Ideas + Business
Models + Citizens)
• R2R methodology for e-Innovation.
• Approach to a sustainable model of funding
Thank you !!
Josep M Picas
Sant Pau Hospital. CIO
Josep M Monguet
UPC- I2 Cat. Professor
Sant Pau Hospital Research Institute. Director