A2 Media lesson 2logos, preproduction,identity, visual style
To explore and research
The Music Channel
What music channels do you know?
Create a list…Feedback
This research is important as you need to
create a company name and a logo.
Any ideas? Write these down and sketch
To explore the industry – research into
• Research music video channels – are there
any new ones? Any mergers? Do the
music channels link to facebook/ Twitter etc
or any social media group? Are there any
ads? Product placement? If so, what?
• Post–Institutional research 1
To establish prior knowledge through
• How do music channels target a particular audience?
• Branding? What do we mean by branding? A logo? Visual
• Muzu? http://www.muzu.tv/gb/
• Magic? http://www.magic.co.uk/
• How are their brand identities different? How do they target
To discuss your role as The Director
and Producer of a Media Text.
• You need a song
• Look at the handout, read about copyright and then
investigate. Click tracks and listen until you find one you
• Now try to find the lyrics online – if they don’t exist then it
will be impossible to do
• So, you choose a song… you find the lyrics – next step-
go on youtube and check there isn’t a music video for it
already. If so, it is best to pick again.
• You can choose 3,4,5 to give yourself options!
• Find a song, find and print the lyrics.
Budgeting & Production Unit
• You will need to think about your costs. Don’t choose
lyrics that indicate you need to film all over the UK…
• Production Unit
• Time scale – is set by the Media Dept – you must meet
• You will need filming schedules
• You will need to organise actors, mise en scene, locations
and equipment in order for your project to progress.
• Consider what is doable!
Shooting & Editing
• If this is well storyboarded and organised you should be
able to shoot the music video in no more than three days.
• Editing takes the most time. You should have a clear idea
of what you want your finished product to look like.
• You really don’t want it to look like this…
• The history of music video – read the handout.
• This will be presented in the form of an INTERESTING
ppt, uploaded to slideshare and embedded on the blog.
• Posts checklist – self assess your blog. Are you up to
date? If not, sort this out and ensure that by Friday, youa
re up to date.