Heritage Presbyterian Church
Adult Sunday School 2019
Why Christianity Explored?
• The session has been praying and thinking
about the future of this church. We have been
weak in providing opportunities for the
congregation to engage their neighbors and
friends with the gospel. We want to improve in
our corporate evangelism and discipleship.
• Christianity Explored is a mature and proven
“gospel course” through the Gospel of Mark
designed to answer three basic questions:
1. Who is Jesus?
2. Why did Jesus come?
3. What does it mean for us?
Class Weekly Outline
1. Good News
4. The Cross
7. Special Day
• The Sower: listen carefully
• James and John: ask humbly
• Herod: choose wisely
8. Come and Die
Class Weekly Schedule
6:30 p.m. Welcome and dinner together
7:15 p.m. Read and discuss a
passage from Mark’s Gospel
7:30 p.m. Watch video
7:50 p.m. Discuss video
8:30 p.m. Finish and dismiss
How You Participated
• You prayed for people to hear the best news they’ve ever
• You invite your family, friends, coworkers, neighbors
• You brought your friends, coworkers, and neighbors
• You prepared and served wonderful dinners
• You studied the Gospel of Mark
• You talked with your guests and HPC friends during class
• You led a small group discussion
• You shared a personal testimony of faith
• You persisted to keep the conversation and relationships
Stories from participants
• Giving invitations
• Following up
What did we learn about…
• Jesus and the gospel?
• The Gospel of Mark?
• Our friends?
• Our church?
• Our community/culture?
• Friday evening weather pattern?
Next steps for HPC
1. Christianity Explored course offered
publicly at church annually?
2. Private, informal courses in your
• Christianity Explored
• Life Explored (either before or after CE)
• Discipleship Explored (after LE and CE)