PVMPC Welcome and CFV Overview
May 9-10, 2017
General Manager, CFV Solar Test Laboratory
CFV Solar Test Laboratory
• CFV is a 28,000 square foot ISO 17025 PV test
laboratory. CFV is a CBTL under IECEE.
• CFV is jointly owned by CSA, Fraunhofer ISE
and Fraunhofer CSE.
• CFV offers performance testing, bankability
testing, developer and certification testing
services for all types of PV technologies: flat
plate, bifacials, CPV, BiPV, racking and tracking
• CFV clients and partners are manufacturers,
developers, investors, independent engineers,
national labs (Sandia, NREL, NIST).
Outdoor Performance Testing
• IAM measurements using dual-axis tracker
procedure developed jointly with Sandia
and compatible with IEC 61853-2.
• CFV is one of the few labs that can reliably
perform this measurement, which can have
a significant effect on yield estimates from
performance simulation software versus
default IAM profiles.
• NOCT/NMOT measurements. Generation of
U0, U1 thermal coefficients that can
improve software yield estimates versus
• Sandia coefficient estimation.
• Extended reliability and durability testing to
both standard and custom protocols:
• Fraunhofer PVDI, 3x IEC, Qualification Plus,
Thresher style testing.
• Participated in development of CSA’s EXP450
which is in process to becoming an ANSI
standard for PV Module Quality Assurance
Testing Protocol which was presented at
NREL’s conference in February.
• EXP450 has a publicly available testing
document, technical committee and a process
for updates using latest research from NREL
• Batch flash testing of modules prior to
• Custom PAN file generation for specific
module batches or plants.
• Fielded module failure analysis. Diode
failures, crack and snail trail analysis and
forward looking durability testing.
Jointly with Fraunhofer CSE and ISE.
• Mechanical load testing for modules,
racks and trackers.
• QA and module reliability testing, CSA
EXP450 with third party factory sampling
and BOM verification.
Feedback Loops For Continuous Improvement
• Reception tonight after conference – open bar, beer and wine.
• Dinner tonight 7:00 – 9:00 – open bar, beer and wine Spaces still available. Please
tell us if you are interested before AM break.
• Space for CFV lab tour at 2 PM Wednesday for those not attending PVLIB
workshop. CFV is 10 minutes from airport.