• Brand loyalty in Indians.
• A lot of untapped market
• New generation with different tastes in
watching TV shows.
• Positioned as a General Entertainment
Channel with a difference.
• Something different not the regular “Saas
• The tagline of “Colors” is Jazbaat ke Rang”.
• They targeted very critical issues of the Indian
• Most of the dailysoaps are in regional
languages, so easy to relate for the people
living in villages.
• Microsites for individual programs.
• Dabbawala thing was an instant hit some
more innovative advertisements can be
• Involvement campaigns than mass media
• Mobile strategy video on mobile platforms.
Studies at Harvard Says About Marketing
• It should be 3% of the revenue
• Can fluctuate according to PLC
• Product/Brand launches: Add 2–5%
• Mid-late product lifecycles: Subtract 1–5%
• New or powerful competitor challenging competitive
• Changing Brand position or grow market share-Add 1–
• Colors when launched had advertising budget
of 50 crores which was quite cost effective
keeping in view the market share it gained
within a year of its launch and revenue it
generates per year around 6000mn per
annum with add revenues growing by 46% Q
Factors Worth Consideration
• Communication Plan (obviously)
• Online Marketing Expenditure- opt specific ones-
recommended microsites –as it was big hit with VIACOM 18’s
• Competition from rivals More on PR and
• PLC stage- Growth Stage Promotions
Relatively less On
STEP-4 Future Strategies
• Can Tap rural markets
• 50 million rural households are TV viewers
• 70% of DTH revenue was recorded from rural households
• Can launch the channels in countries with large
number of Indian Population
• As already launched in UK and US as ‘Apka Colors’
• Gossip/chit chat shows can be launched to target
• Career oriented shows for youngsters
• As On The Job on MTV that brought added 15-16%
• Advertise in the small towns through
Hoardings, painting the walls of the residents.
• Collaborate with the local shopkeepers & put
the posters of its upcoming shows in the
• Organize interactive games with the local
people in relation to its shows.
• Launch road shows across the country for its
upcoming reality shows etc.
• Organize street plays in relation to its serials.
• It should increase its popularity in other
countries also like Canada, other parts of U.K.
• It should keep using the Mumbai Dabbawalas
for its promotions.