Medical Assistant Career Pathways Certificate Program
At Clatsop Community College
Pathway Foundation Knowledge and Skills
(provides the basis for Career Pathways Certificate Programs)
• Academic Foundations
• Communications Career Pathways Certificate Program
• Employability and Career Development
• Ethics and Legal Responsibilities This program is designed to prepare individuals for entry level
• Leadership and Team Work employment in a physician’s clinic or other health care setting,
• Problem Solving and Critical Thinking performing routine administrative and clinical tasks to keep
• Safety, Health, and Environmental healthcare delivery systems running smoothly. Medical Assistants
may work in reception, scheduling, medical records, insurance
Clatsop Community College’s Institutional Learning Outcomes billing and coding, or as medical office secretaries. A Medical
Students receiving this certificate will have demonstrated the Assistant may also work as a clinical assistant to the physician by
ability to: taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing
1. Communicate effectively through writing, speaking, and patients for examination, drawing blood, and administering
imagery. medications as directed by the physician.
2. Solve problems with current and emerging discipline-
appropriate technology. The Medical Assistant Career Pathways Certificate Program gives
3. Act with integrity. students experience in the health care profession. Upon finishing
4. Understand and appreciate diversity. this program, students may further their studies to complete
5. Work competently through knowledge of content, mastery of the Medical Assistant One-Year Certificate Program, Associate
skills, and effective work habits. of General Studies (AGS) Degree in Medical Assistant, and/or
6. Work effectively individually, collaboratively, and as a leader. Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree in Office Systems
7. Solve problems through critical and creative thinking. Management.
8. Demonstrate the skills and tools needed for life-long learning.
For additional information on the Medical Assistant Career
Pathways Certificate or other Career Pathways Programs contact:
Clatsop Community College
1653 Jerome Avenue
Astoria, OR 97103
Clatsop Community College is an affirmative action,
equal opportunity institution.
At Clatsop Community College
Potential Earnings: Medical Assistant Career Pathways Technical Knowledge
Wages in Oregon may range from an entry level of $11.48 per and Skills
hour to a high of $18.70, with an average wage of $14.69 per Upon completion of the program, a student will be able to:
• Assist with basic care to clients in medical offices or clinical
Job Opportunities: settings.
• Utilize improved grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation
• Medical Assistant skills.
• Medical Receptionist • Use reference sources and electronic aids.
• Use proper office communication.
Complete the following courses to earn a Medical • Provide for patient privacy and confidentiality.
Assistant Career Pathways Certificate: • Use office machinery.
• Use basic billing, coding, and insurance procedures.
MA 112 Medical Assistant Clinical Procedures I, 3 credits • Schedule patients, organize an office, and use proper etiquette.
OA 104 English for Business, 4 credits • Use basic word structure to guide in the study of medical
OA 126 Office Skills for the Medical Setting, 4 credits terminology.
MA 120 Body Structure & Function I, 4 credits • Describe the location, structure, and function of body organs.
Total credits: 15 • Use terminology in its proper context, including structure and
function of the human body.
Students completing these courses will have fulfilled some of
the course requirements for the Medical Assistant One-Year Program Learning Outcomes
Certificate Program. Intended Learning Outcomes: Learning experiences in this program are
designed to assist the student in realizing the following outcomes:
1. Interact in a caring and respectful manner with patients, families,
and the healthcare team, while maintaining cultural sensitivity.
2. Assist with establishing and managing office procedures and
implementing medical documentation systems using appropriate
3. Perform the administrative business tasks required in a medical
4. Assist the physician and other members of the health care team
in clinical procedures.