• Created in the ER, or Endoplasmic Reticulum and sent to
the Golgi Apparatus.
• Lysosomes are small organelles filled with digestive
• Located in the cytoplasm (portion of cell outside of the
nucleus) of animal eukaryotic cells
• The “janitors of the cell”
• Responsible for the break down of lipids, carbohydrates,
and proteins to be used by the cell
• Attach and release their enzymes, which break down the
complex sugars and proteins
• Break down organelles that are no longer useful
• Remove “junk” that may accumulate in the cell (this
• There are over 50 classified diseases due to Lysosomes
not functioning properly. To name a few..
-Lysosomal Transport Disease
-Glycogen Storage Disease type II
• The word Lysosome comes from two Greek words- Lysis
meaning destruction, and Soma meaning body.
• - Lysosomes contain over 3 dozen different types of
What are Peroxisomes?
Small organelles found in both animal and
Found in free floating cytoplasm
Contain at least 50 enzymes
Produce hydrogen peroxide
The Job of Peroxisomes
Enzymes in peroxisomes break down long
chain fatty acids through oxidation
Produce a great deal of metabolic
Abundant in organs such as the
liver, where lipids are stored, broken
down, and synthesized.
The Job of Peroxisomes cont.
Produce chemicals as well as breaking
Make cholesterol in animal cells and
produce bile in liver cells
Contain enzymes for making
Lysosomes and Peroxisomes
Built with proteins
Where they bud
(Golgi body and
Size of membrane