Aims of the session
• To share what is happening in ESF secondary
schools regarding Action Research
• To consider what Action Research could look
like across the Foundation
• To brainstorm possible projects at school or
• T1.2 Develops self as
• L1.1 Leads teaching
‘Action research is a
process of deep inquiry
into one's practices… the
study of one's actions, and
the effects of these
actions, in a workplace
- Riel, M (2010) Understanding
- Action Research
In ESF it is labelled many
• Action Research
• Teacher inquiry
• Rapid prototyping
And the Why…
To empower teachers to
innovate, collaborate and reflect through
school or Foundation-wide professional
learning communities that focus on
improving outcomes for all students.
- #ed.teach committee group
Over to you..
Why are you interested in Action Research?
What areas would you be interested in
Who would you like to research with?
The projects are useful to share at:
• staff professional development,
• inductions for new teachers and educational
• parent workshops,
• workshops within and outside of the ESF
community to promote your school.
• “Academic Practitioners” … all the vogue !
• Huge expertise in the school so let’s “own” the
research about our own organisation
• Link with HK Institute of Education
• Two projects this year:
• Online footprint (Ed)
• Data tracking (James Smith)
• Both are involving students, teachers, support
staff, outside research
“Varied, Personalised and I owned by you!”
How it looks… Research
What do you
want to find
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY FOR
• Learning centred around concept –
driven, inquiry led units
• Learner profile
Update from IBO about ATLs
Approaches to Learning
• Skills: Thinking /research/ communication/ social and self
Approaches to Teaching
• based on inquiry
• focused on conceptual understanding
• developed in local and global contexts
• focused on effective communication and collaboration
• differentiated to meet the needs of all learners
• informed by assessment, both formative and summative
What is the opportunity for
Foundation-wide Action Research?
• Concept based learning?
Designing your own action research
• Now you have time to design your own action
research project, that could be
personal, school based or Foundation–wide.
RESEARCH PURPOSE AND
• Reflect on teaching and learning.
Where is there a common area
that needs development across
• What are you interested in
pursuing through action
• Identify an area for improvement
in teaching and learning. Gather
information on the area and the
• Who will you be working with-
the researchers and the study
• What are the intended
outcomes/ solutions/ results?
• What do you want to find out?
Define the question/s and set
• How will you collect the data-
• Is there anyone who needs to
know about the research Line
• What resources do you need?
• How long will it take? Develop a
timeline of action.