2013 Salsa Community Conference - Autoresponses & Welcome Series
What are they?
Where they’re found in Salsa
The autoresponder interface
Send conditions and timed triggers
Limitations and pitfalls
What are autoresponses?
• Emails that get sent after
activity on a Salsa page
• Unique because they carry
• “Set it and forget it”
• Where they’re used:
Any Salsa page with a ‘follow up’ tab!
• Action pages
• Signup pages
• Where they’re configured:
– Inline (basic, quick)
– Email Blast package, Autoresponse/triggers feature (full)
Example: Donation page
Thank you for your donation of $[[amount]]!
You can print this email as a record of your donation for your tax
Confirmation Code: [[PNREF]][[RPREF]]
Donation Amount: $[[amount]]
Donation Date: [[CURRENT_DATE]]
Donation Made By: [[First_Name]] [[Last_Name]]
[[Street]] [[Street 2]]
[[City]] [[State]] [[Zip]]
– To the submitter
– To staff (or anyone else)
– Delayed send
Send conditions &
• Found under Advanced Options tab
• Uses a combination of standard merge fields
and ‘hidden’ merge fields
[[isNew]] == 1
Use && to combine conditions, or
|| to add “or” conditions
• Get everything you need with the
“Append values” option
• Timed triggers can’t be stopped!
• Can’t be sent after the fact
What is a Welcome Series?
Autoresponse / triggers
Conditions & Delay
Activating the series
Suppression from main communications
Things to keep in mind
What is a Welcome Series?
• A set of emails sent to a supporter after joining your list
– or performing a certain action (donating, attending an
• The series 'welcomes' them to your organization, and
gives them an orientation
• On the technical side: emails are configured to launch…
– at a certain time,
– if specific conditions are met,
– and only on specific pages
Did you notice the “Update Trigger to Streaming Email” button?
Clicking this will convert the autoresponse to a Streaming Email. (Obviously.)
The Streaming Email interface is mostly the same as a regular email blast.
the addition of the Stream Options tab, which lets you set the Send Conditions and
Timed Trigger Delay.
– You will no longer use the Targeting or Validation tab.
You can create a Streaming Email at any step of the autoresponse.
– If you fully set up an autoresponse, there’s have less to do on a streaming email.
Double check each step!
Setup: Conditions &
• You don’t want everyone getting your welcome series, right?
• Send Conditions make sure a supporter meets certain criteria before sending.
• Welcome = new, so…
– [[isNew]] == 1
• Other conditions exist, so explore!
• Question two: You don’t want your new supporters getting three or four emails
immediately in a row, right?
• Timed Trigger Delay will delay your email sending until the timer runs out.
• Incremented by the hour, so two days later = 48 hrs, a week later is 168 hours.
• A welcome series needs to be ‘attached’ to a page to run.
• On the Follow-up tab of each Salsa page, you can attach
• Click “Add an existing response” to find your existing
• Add as many as are included in your series.
• Now when a supporter completes that page, the triggers
will line up and fire according to the conditions and
• You may want to keep welcome series recipients from getting
your regular emails
• First step: Create a group for your welcome series
• Second step: Decide what type of query to use to identify
welcome series recipients
– Time based
– Targeted by (Streaming emails only)
– Status = New (Streaming emails only)
• Convert Step 1 group into smart group using Step 2 query
• When targeting your regular email blasts, add condition for
“Is not a member of” your Step 1 group
Keep in mind…
• There is no way to cancel/stop a welcome series once it starts.
• A welcome series doesn’t require streaming emails; but is
helpful for statistics tracking.
– Streaming emails combine the automation features of autoresponses /
email triggers with the design template and statistics reporting features
of email blasts.
• If you want to prevent other emails from being sent in middle
of welcome series, you will need to create a suppression group.
• You’re not limited to one welcome series. Consider creating
different ‘sets’ based on the type of action taken: if they came
in from a donation page, an action page, or a regular signup
page. Be sure to tailor your content accordingly!