Pattern Recognition and its
• What and Why Pattern Recognition ?
• How Pattern Recognition ?
• Where Pattern Recognition ?
• Iris Recognition
• Iris ID- Iris Scan
• How it works ?
What and Why Pattern Recognition
• Branch of machine learning that focuses
on recognition of patterns and regularities
• Scientific discipline dealing with methods
for object description and classification
• Broad scope of applications
Where Pattern Recognition ?
• Applications of pattern recognition
systems and techniques are numerous
and cover a broad scope of activities.
• Examples are
– Agriculture : Crop Analysis, Soil Evaluation
– Astronomy : Analysis of telescopic images
– Biology : Genetic studies
– Engineering : Speech Recongition
• Automated method of biometric identification
that uses mathematical pattern-recognition
• measure the unique patterns in the colored circle
around your pupil to identify and authenticate
• Applications : physical access control in private
enterprise and government,transportation,
healthcare, and national identification programs
• Examples of Iris Scanning – IriScan, Project Iris.
• most accurate of the commonly used
• Iris recognition's accuracy is the data-
richness of the iris itself.
• Uses high resolution digital camera at
visible or IR wavelengths and then uses
specialised computer program called
matching engine to compare iris's