• Getting changes to users quickly, reliably, and
• Quick release cycle from code to Production
• More confidence due to automated testing
– bugs are not always 100% reproducible
Google Devops (2013)
• 75 million test cases are run daily
"Automated tests transform fear into boredom."
-- Eran Messeri, Google
• Same environment in Dev, QA and Production
• Auto deploy
– deploy reliability and consistency
• Automated tests
– unit test
– smoke test (integration test)
How do you test hadoop features?
• Manually test on dev cluster
– Hey folks, don’t move, I’m testing my own features.
• Pig unit
– adhoc-query? dev environment only
• HBase mini-cluster
– does not support Windows?
• Still not exactly the same environment as Production
• what if written in python, ruby, php?
What if we can do Dev and Test
in the same way, efficiently?
• lightweight, portable Linux containers (like VMs)
– fast creation
– system isolated
– resource constrained
• Build, ship, run containers everywhere
– containers as dev and test environment
• A open source command line VM(or IaaS)
Solution for OS X / Windows
(2XMB, tiny core Linux)
OS X / Windows
with vagrant and virtualbox
auto provisioned by