Successfully reported this slideshow.
You’ve unlocked unlimited downloads on SlideShare!
• It is an infestation caused by cysticercus which is a larval form of certain taenia
species. Among various species the larval form of tape worm, the Taenia solium
i.e. cysticercus cellulosae infest human beings either as a definitive or
• Consumption of inadequately cooked pork- primary cause.
• Fecally contaminated food or water as well as self contamination by reflux- other
Intraorally, cysticercosis commonly involves lips, cheeks, and tongue . Cysticercosis
involving the masseter muscle has also been reported
• Most cases present as solitary or multiple, painless, well circumscribed, fluctuant
swellings, and often mimic mucoceles.
• Microscopically it appears as a fibrous capsule surrounding a cysticercus. The
bladder wall appears as lightly eosinophilic wavy membrane with multiple tiny
ovoid nuclei in the fibrillary stroma beneath
• When a cyst dies spontaneously or following
chemotherapy, there is usually more inflammation. Local
eosinophilia, granulation tissue, and a granulomatous
• Oral myiasis is defined as a condition in which the soft tissues of different
parts of the oral cavity are invaded by the parasitic larvae of flies. These
larvae commonly known as maggots are of Diptera.
• Myiasis is associated with poor oral hygiene.
• Usually the female fly infests ova in open wounds, dead tissue or normal
body cavities. These eggs hatch and the larvae get their nourishment from
the soft tissue.
• It is relatively a rare condition but cases have been reported in gingiva,
palate and extracted wounds.
• The usual presenting symptoms are painful growth with ulceration and
itching due to crawling movement of the larvae .
• The treatment is aimed at the removal of the larvae from the affected area
and flushing the area with normal saline or antiseptics.