Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan
• Launched On 12 May 2020.
• “Atmanirbhar” which is a Hindi word
meaning in English is “Self Reliant”.
• Atmanirbhar Bharat is basically a term
formulated at the time of the pandemic
COVID-19 in India.
• “Vocal For Local”.
• Strengthen local markets, production, and supply chains.
• India faced problems in terms of shortage of Hospital beds, PPE kits,
Covid test kits, medicines, ventilators, and other necessary respiratory
and medical equipment including basic supplies of hand sanitizers, and
• Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan was announced along with an economic
stimulus of Rs. 20,00000 crores to manage the COVID-19 economic crisis.
• The economic package would be around 10% of India's Gross Domestic
Product (GDP) in 2019-20.
• It includes packages already announced incorporating measures from the
RBI and the payouts under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana.
• The package would focus on land, labor, liquidity, and laws.
• The Mission will be carried out in two phases:
Phase 1: It will consider sectors like medical textiles, electronics, plastics,
and toys where local manufacturing and exports can be promoted.
Phase 2: It will consider products like gems and jewelry, pharma and steel,
THE FIVE PILLARS
• Economy - that doesn't begin incremental change but makes quantum
• Infrastructure- that will become the identity of modern India.
• System- a technology-driven system that can fulfill the dreams of the
21st century, a system not based on the policy of the past century.
• Demography- vibrant demography of the largest and supply.
• Demand- full utilization of the power of demand and supply.
• Tranche 1: Focus on Small Businesses, MSMEs, NBCs, Real Estate,
• Tranche 2: Focus on Migrant Workers, Small and Marginal Farmers,
Street Vendors, and the Urban Poor.
• Tranche 3: Focus on Agriculture and Allied Activities.
• Tranche 4: Focus on Structural Reforms.
• Tranche 5: Focus on MGNREGA, Ease of Doing Business,
Resources of State Governments, Public Sector Undertakings, etc.
• Strengthens local supply chain with further development and
promotion of locally produced products.
• Promotes self-reliance which will result in both improved efficiency in
production and quality of goods & services.
• Reduces poverty and hunger which affects millions.
• Adequate measures have not been taken to drive up household
• Farmers are facing difficulties in getting the minimum support prices,
adding to their distress.
• Migrant workers and laborers do not get anything substantial from the
Role of Indian citizens in Aatmanirbhar Bharat
• When the Prime Minister announced the Aatmanirbhar Bharat
Abhiyan, he also laid emphasis on the role played by the citizens.
• The citizens of the country should feel proud of the products made in
our country so that the industries which are suffering due to the
lockdown can get a ray of hope to stand back and start production.
• It is essential for people to start using products that are made in India.
• The people should be encouraged to not only use the products that are
made in India but also to export those products to other countries.
Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan promises to provide benefits to everyone
from every sector. It aims to be self-resilient to face the competition
with the global supply chain. The package will support the poor,
laborers, and migrant workers from both organized as well as