STRUCTURES AND DECONSTRUCTS
THINKING IN CORE LOOPS
● Core Loops are a series of actions
that are repeated over and over
throughout a game.
● Layers of depth can be added to
the core loop.
● Core Loops help you define and
controls the player experience and
Designing Loops by Gamethinking.io
CORE LOOPS ≠ MECHANICS
Pacman Mechanics by Videogameworkshop.com
Battle Level Up
YOUR GAME’S CORE LOOP
WITH SYSTEMS AND DEFINE THE
ECONOMY IN DETAIL.
FOR A SOLID CORE LOOP
● SET CLEAR TARGETS
● SIMPLE AND SHORT
● UTILIZE PLAYER EXPECTATIONS
● BUILD FOR DEPTH
● PROTOTYPE AND ITERATE
● BENCHMARK YOUR GENRE
GROWTH OF PLAYER EXPERIENCES OVER PERIODS OF TIME
● OFFER INVESTMENT
● USE SOCIAL HOOKS
● EVOLVE PLAYER LIFECYCLES
○ Early/Mid/Late game content
○ Superfan gameplay
○ Converted player experiences..
DESIGN FOR MONETIZATION
FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU
● PRICING (F2P, Premium)
● GATING (Demo/Full Version, Paywalls)
Rethinking your game monetisation strategy - Adi Haddad
Break down the Experience in Structures.
- Tutorials, FTUE
- Controls, Complexity, Session Duration
- Feedback Loop
- Positive and Negative reinforcements
- Difficulty and flow