How Rakuten is planning to run their entire
business in English?
● History of Rakuten
● Part of global
● Rakuten is the major Internet shopping site
● There are the group's 6,000 employees.
● Rakuten sets up a business enterprise as below. - EC,
bank card, banking corporation, portal media, travel,
certificate, sports, connection
History of Rakuten
● In 1997, MDM Inc. was founded by Hiroshi Mikitani.
● In 1999, it is renamed as Rakuten Inc.
● It announced the company’s official language will
become English by the end of fiscal 2012.
● Rakuten supports employees by providing an English
● Rakuten plans to expand reach from current six
countries to 27 major countries or more.
● Rakuten plans to raise the ratio to 70 percent and aims
to increase annual sales of group companies.
● Rakuten encouraged the use of English. - Employees
can make presentation and the meeting documents in
● Rakuten has bought overseas Internet shopping site
● By employees can speak English, they can improve
their abilities and broaden their perspectives.
● There is two possibility. (a)The positive aspects of
employees who have subpar English ability may be
overlooked. (b)Inter-company communication may
● Some people wonder if a high goal that change the way
Japan does business is possible.
Part of Global
● Rakuten will conduct all board meeting in English.
● All internal documents will be written in English.
● Rakuten focus more energy on English. - Other
companies are not comfortable.
● Rakuten's goal is to become the No.1 Internet service
company in the world.
● Rakuten will be to become not Japanese company but