What led to the downfall of the
Toyota brand-name worldwide?
● The automaker produces
● A robust growth
● Vehicle sales
● Emerging markets
● In China Toyota’s sales
● Toyota’s North American sales
● What led to the downfall of the Toyota brand- name
● Do you think it is bouncing back in 2014?
The automaker produces
● Toyota has benefited hugely from a deteriorating yen
since the automaker produces almost 50% of its
vehicles in Japan.
● The overseas profits translate back to more yen when
A robust growth
● The automaker also recorded a robust growth in
operating profits from 1.32 trillion yen($13 billion) in
fiscal 2013 to 2.29 trillion yen ($22.5 billion) in fiscal
● The company attributed this increase to successful
efforts at cost reduction and efficient marketing
● Consolidated vehicle sales for the fiscal year grew from
8.87 million to 9.1 million, implying a growth of nearly
● The automaker left its unit sales guidance of 10.1 million
units for the calendar year 2014 unchanged. For fiscal
2015, the car maker gave a cautious outlook, projecting
a slowdown in the number of cars sold.
● Despite record profits, the automaker was cautious on
sales in emerging markets.
● The gradual withdrawal of the Fed’s quantitative easing,
or tapering as it is known, is causing currency
fluctuations in developing economies, which is driving
uncertainty in these markets.
● Political turmoil in Thailand, one of Toyota’s key
markets, could also drive down sales in 2014.
In China Toyota’s sales
● In China, Toyota’s sales grew 9.2% to
917,500 vehicles in 2013.
● Sales were weak during the first half of the
year, as the automaker battled anti-
Japanese sentiment among the general
public triggered by political reasons.
Toyota’s North American sales
● Through the three quarters of the fiscal year, Toyota’s
North American sales rose 5.2% to 1.97 million units.
● However, for the fiscal year 2014, Toyota’s North
American sales increased only to 2.53 million units, due
to a weak presence in the pickup segment and harsh
weather which is affecting the overall automotive