Merriam-Webster definition: “A Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer that is severely limited by space restrictions.”
554,750,000 million users. 200 million users use Twitter dailyNumber of new Twitter users signing up everyday 135,000Average number of tweets per day 58 millionPercent of Twitter users who use their phone to tweet 43 %Number of tweets that happen every second 9,100
Intro to Twitter
What is Twitter?
• A 140 character micro-blog used to share content, ideas
and data with other Twitter users.
Why do businesses use Twitter?
• Twitter is used by 550 million people.
• Businesses create Twitter accounts to interact with
Why Go Wichita uses Twitter
• Connect with visitors, the community and our members.
Why you should use Twitter
• Further your business
– Personally and for Go Wichita
• Connect with meeting planners
• Connect with local businesses
• Stay connected to friends
• Get news on the go
• Build support for Wichita from
friends and familyNew Twitter User Egg
• Tweet directed at a specific individual.
• If the mention is posted anywhere else in the tweet, the
tweet will appear in everyone’s stream.
• If you start your tweet with a “@” then your
followers will not see it, unless they follow the
account you mentioned.
– Public tweet directed at an individual that
everyone can see.
• RT @retweet
– Shares someone else’s tweet with all of your
• MT @modifiedtweet
– Shares someone else’s tweet with changes to
all of your followers
Tips for starting on Twitter
• Decide how you want to use Twitter.
– Personally? For business? Combination?
• Follow people.
– You’ll be more informed about what’s happening.
– People frequently follow you back.
• Use a URL shortening service such as
bitly.com when tweeting a link.