Key Data Points
• 6 Days
• 21 Pages of Notes
• 207 Tweets
• 25 Miles Walked
• 25 Hours Slept
W20 Group’s Social
SOME APPLICABLE TAKEAWAYS FROM…
The PESO Model
“Paid media becomes the supporting actor for earned media.”
– Bob Pearson, President W20 Group
PESO = Convergence of paid, earned, shared and owned media
• Paid = Banner, pay-per-click, advertorials
• Earned = Traditional media + blogger outreach
• Shared = Social networks that facilitate WOM
• Owned = Your company’s website, Facebook page, et al.
Other Social Commerce Summit Highlights
• Digital data’s value should extend well beyond PR and marketing into HR,
customer service, product teams, etc.
• Vanity metrics aren’t enough anymore, we want to drive business
• Customers review your product/service more than an R&D department
• Adrian Parker (Intuit) delivers a killer presentation connecting his
relationship with his wife to how you should measure the entire
marketing funnel (link/slides)
Mobile + Social
SOME APPLICABLE TAKEAWAYS FROM…
(i.e. Day #1 in AT&T Conference Center before #sxsh and other panels got started)
Is Mobile Really a Branding Vehicle?
• 75% of all consumers use 2 screens simultaneously
• How do you reduce the friction?
• Asking city/state when you already have zip
• Online vs. Offline is an irrelevant argument now.
• Mobile is an access point. It’s not a channel or a tactic in your media mix.
• John Butterill’s Virtual Photo Walks
What Marketers Should Ask Themselves About Social
The move from mass communication to mass communicators represents
the largest disruption in communication history.
It requires a re-boot in the way we think about building brands.
--- Jeff Dachis, @DachisGroup Founder
The Innovation, Data & Health Care Ecosystem
• Patients are increasingly becoming advocates for themselves.
• The US Dept of Health is Innovative. (Who knew?)
• Technology is catalyst/accelerant, but tech isn’t solution if culture
and processes aren’t in place.
• The three prongs to an open data program:
• Data liberation
• Data Accessibility
• Data Education
• [Interesting]: Working w/ Code Academy to create classes for people
who want to hack healthcare.
Contagious Content: Making Healthy Behavior Stick
• “Health is the new hustle.”
• We live in a culture that is pro-active about their own health.
Following the Patient for Meaningful Change
• Ethnographic research to find core issues & solve
problems through design
• Create profiles (ex: chronic vs. acute patient)
• Patient Experience mapping to clinical adoption
• The big brands don’t disrupt and small, mobile teams
are nipping at margins
(1) Systems are transparent & clear to all
(2) Communication is productive & seamless
(3) Decision-Making is informed
Kaiser Permanente & Mayo Clinic are reinventing healthcare delivery
• MDigitalLife Trailer
• Database of nearly 1,400 U.S. doctors on Twitter and linked to NPI (National Provider
• They tweet over 2x per day on average.
• More than 50% of tweets sent between 9am & 5pm
• 2/3 have at least 150 followers (the median is 306)
• More than 1/3 of the doctors are followed by at least 20 other doctors in the database.
• How innovative physicians are leveraging social media tools like Twitter to improve the
health of their patients, to grow their practices, to connect with their peers, and to
create a platform for influencing the future of healthcare. (Scientific & Quantitative)
From @Chimoose at Social Commerce Summit, but fit better here.
Other #SXSWh Highlights
• Healthcare is trusted less than banks and big business
• Healthcare moves SLOW
• Start small and find advocates to champion your efforts