• New SaaS offering from Minneapolis software company, Four51
• Social media-publishing suite for small businesses
• Being marketed and sold with inside and outside sales activity
• Board of Directors set a goal for FanTools to acquire 1,000+ users
• Keyword research, primary research captured from sales force and user experience
• Small business owners preferred to discover and engage a social media tool online.
• Sign up and online experience frustrating/confusing.
• Plenty of affordable online channels to leverage in campaigns.
• SMBs were put off by words like platform, seemed like work and still didn’t entirely
understand what the benefit.
• Refocus sales & marketing strategy to online lead/acquisition.
• Simplify website and sign up process.
• Multichannel paid, owned, earned and shared approach.
• Change positioning from “Social Promotion Platform” to “Your Social Media Guide”.
• Campaign core around a new mascot, “Joe the Pizza Guy”, to introduce product.
Update from flash enabled, no CTA, unclear message difficult user experience and hard to
update to new site with CMS, Strong CTA, Customer reinforcement, Clear message
Take “Your Social Media Guide” theme into a multichannel, paid, owned, earned and shared
Focus on industry verticals ( ex. hospitality, retail, restaurant) and functional areas ( ex.
management, monitoring, promotions) to align messaging and content for all media to
industry or function for relevance.
PPC targeted by
verticals and function
via Facebook and
Google in U.S., Canada
More than a dozen
opportunities during the
• Social Media Explorer
• Ragan Communications
• Business Journals
Dozens of owned
media, keyword rich,
posts to drive organic
growth to domain and
Focus social media on
conversations to provide
helpful social media
marketing content and
humanizing the software
and FanTools team.
45 days after launching, exceeded the goal of achieving 1,000 sign ups. Prior to, cost of
acquisition ~ $250 per sign up.
• SEM CPA: $53.97
• Facebook: CPA: $72.71
Blended CPA: $54.55
Campaign generated more than 63,000,000 digital media impressions
at a nominal cost to the traditional sales channel
About Ryan Ruud
Ryan Ruud is a Minneapolis, MN based digital strategy,
marketing and PR business leader and consultant.
For more visit