Marketing Automation: Differences between an ESP and use cases
Automation Nation: How
Marketing Automation Can
Increase Conversions and
Grow Repeat Customers
Marketing automation refers to software platforms and
technologies designed for marketing departments and
organizations to more effectively market on multiple
channels online (such as email, social media, websites,
etc.) and automate repetitive tasks.
Email Service Provider or ESP is a software platform and
technology designed for marketing departments and
organizations to more effectively market on the email
Questions to ask before you start
1. Enough budget and the right person in-house with enough time and
empowerment to make sure all the benefits and features available can be
2. Cross-company buy-in from all involved parties and a fully thought-out
strategic plan including funnel or lifetime metrics from top to bottom that
both marketing and sales can agree on.
3. A marketing automation package that meets both immediate marketing
needs, and the future needs of the company as consumers shift to non-
email platforms, whether it be software-as-a-service, on premise licensed
software, or homegrown software.
4. A robust, centralized database with all the relevant info needed to drive
5. The creative assets needed to feed highly individualized communications
over long periods of time.
• Additional Reading:
– Econsultancy: Marketing Automation Best Practices
– Forrester: Marketing Automation Success With European Companies,
Mastering New Marketing Automation Approaches
– Twitter & LinkedIN: Ryan Gripp
– Email: firstname.lastname@example.org