Mobile 101 - Android
St. Joseph College, Montalban Rizal
Sept 8, 2012
Rai Escarez @brainv
What is Android?
• Android is a Linux-based operating system
for mobile devices such as smartphones
and tablet computers, developed by
Google in conjunction with the Open
• Large community of developers writing
• The world’s leading smartphone platform
at the end of 2010
• Basic Java Programming
• Know how to use a tool
• Setup the Development Environment
• Create a "Hello World" Android Application
• Understand the various parts of an
• Use the Android Emulator
• Install and run the application on a
• Create a simple User Interface
Download/Install the Eclipse Plugin
• Click Help -> Install New Software .
• Click Add... button.
• Enter a name for the site into the Name field.
• Enter https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/ into the Location field.
• Click the OK button.
• Click the checkbox next to Developer Tools.
• Click the Next button.
• Accept the terms, click Finish.
• Restart Eclipse.
Download/Install the SDK Platform
• Select the menu Window -> "Android SDK and AVD Manager", or click on
the black phone shaped icon in the toolbar.
• Select Available Packages on the left hand side.
• Expand the Google Android site in the "Site, Packages, and Archives" Tree.
• Check the following items:
• SDK Plaform Android 1.6, API 4 Revision 4
• Google APIs by Google Inc., Android API 4, Revision 4
• Click Install Selected.
• Accept the Terms for all packages and click Install Accepted.
• Create an Android Project
• Calling another Activity
• How to use simple event listener
• Running, Debugging, and Causing
• Layout manipulation
• Displaying an image
• Map Application
Other useful things
• Take advance the Google API
– Geocoding, Location-Based Service
• Using Hardware functionality
• Using Sensors
• Don’t memorize
• Use cheat sheets
• IDE should obey you
• Join local community