Rapid Prototyping & Theme Design
What is Sketch?
Professional digital design for Mac.
• General graphic app concepts and
• Basic understanding of how webpages work
• While you can use Sketch for other design
purposes, this talk is primarily web focused
• This is just an introduction.
• One of the great things about sketch is the
community. There are so many high quality
resources out there from tutorials, to plugins
that enhance functionality, to shared assets
and UI/UX libraries to get you started (think stock
• I will get you started, and provide you
resources to continue the journey on your own
• Sadly, no.
• $99 license (educational pricing also)
• Open Source alternatives:
What about Adobe?
• Powerful and great… but with that, bloated and
steep learning curve
• …and expensive: $120 - $600/ year
When to use Sketch?
Sketch: Web (vector / ﬂat artwork)
Photoshop: photographs, heavy
image retouching and manipulation
Illustrator: logos, line art / drawing
Why I use Sketch?
Nicely designed, solid app that allows me to
work faster and happier ;)
• one-window app
• toolbar on top
• inspector on right (adapts/contextual…
displaying only the properties you need
for the tool you are currently using)
• layers and artboards on left
• Let the magic begin!
• Demo: File > New From Template: iOS
App, iOS UI, Material Design (Google),
Web Design, Welcome to Sketch