• Indus Valley Civilization
• Civilizations developed near the rivers in north due to favourable conditions. The
important large cities were Mohenjadaro, Harappa, Lothal and Chanhudaro.
• Jainism and Buddhism
• In this period two great religious propogators Vardhman Mahavir and Gautam Buddha
lived. They spread Jainism and Buddhism throughout the country.
• Maurya period
• Chandragupta Maurya with the help of Chanakya led his empire. Bindusara and
Ashoka were his successors. Ashoka Pillar was built in this period.
• Gupta Dynasty
• Chandragupta I , and Samudragupta were the well known kings of this dynasty.
Hinduism spread in this period, also Bhagvatgita was popular in these times.
• Post gupta
• After the decline of Gupta kingdom many other kingdoms flourished. Hinduism spread
and temples were built in all parts of the country.
• Chandella dynasty
• They were feudatories of Pratiharas, and later became independent. Temples at
Khajurao and many others were built during their reign.
• Cholas Dynasty
• The foundations of Chola kingdom were laid in Thanjavur. The famous temple of
Brihadeshvara was built by Chola king Brihadeshvara.
• Monumental temples at Orissa
• The Somavamsi king Yayati I contributed to the building of the temple.
• he Mukteswar Temple is found to be the earliest work from the Somvamsi period.
• Dilwara temples
• At Mount Abu are two white-marble Jain temples , built by Vastupala and Tejpala,
ministers under Solanki kings of Gujarat.
• Hoysala period
• They became important in 12th century under the king Vishnuvardhana. The Hoysala
are known for their star shaped temples with intricate carvings at Belur and Halebid.
Ajanta caves, Aurangabaad,3CE BC
Stupa, Sanchi,4 CE BC
Dashavtara temple, Uttar Pradesh, 6CE AD
Lakshman temple, Khajurao 1000AD
Brihandeshwar temple, Thanjavur, 1500AD
Mukhteshwar temple, Bhubaneshwar 1251AD
Dilwara temples, Mount Abu, 1050AD
Twin temples, Karnataka, 1200AD
INDIAN ARCHITECTURE TIMELINE
Durga temple, Aihole, 8CE AD
• First Sultans of Delhi
• After the advent of Ghazni and Ghur from north the rulers from the slve dynasty ruled
India. Qutub-ud-Aibak, Iltumish, Raziya sultan all belonged to this period.
• Vijaynagara kindom
• Found by Harihar and Bukka Vijaynagar was full of temples. The Virupaksha temple of
Vijaynagara days is still in use.
• Sayyids and Lodis
• Khizr Khan who had been made governor of Multan started the Sayyid dyansty. Buhlul
Lodi extended his territory over Gwalior and around.
• Babur was the first Mughal king who was followed by Humayun, Akbar, Jahngir,
Shahjahan and Aurangzeb. Many beautiful structures were built during this period
• The Rajputs
• Rajasthan had many independent kingdoms. Among them the Mewar kingdom with its
capital at Udaipur was well-known kingdom.
• The Marathas
• In Maharashtra Bhosales, ruled for many years. They protected their territory against
the oppressive Mughal rule. Forts were built during this period.
• The British
• They came to India for trade and to eastablish the East India Company. Gradully they
waged wars against other Europens defeated the Mughals and became the rulers of
Iltumish tomb, Delhi, 1254AD
Virupaksha temple, Hampi, 1500AD
Isa Khan’s Tomb, Delhi 1485AD
Panch Mahal, Fatehpur Sikri, 1560AD
Chittorgarh, Mewar, 152AD
Raigad, Maharashtra, 1647AD
Viceroy's Lodge, Delhi, 1929AD