Nonverbal communication

1,445 views

Published on

Published in: Education, Technology, Business
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
1,445
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
54
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Nonverbal communication

  1. 1. Prepared by : Ruquia Batool
  2. 2.     Definition of nonverbal communication Types Characteristics Classificaton
  3. 3. Bodily actions and vocal qualities that typically accompany a verbal message. Nonverbal communication also termed as NVC
  4. 4.   ♦ only 7% of a message’s effect is carried by words ; listeners receive the other 93% through non -verbal means, according to Communication researcher Mehrabian. ♦Over 65 percent of the social meaning of the messages we send to others are communicated non-verbally.
  5. 5.    Meta communication Kinesic Communication Leakage
  6. 6. Meta communication is an implied meaning conveyed by the  Choice of words  Tone of voice  Fumbling  Silence or  Omission
  7. 7. It is not through words but along words .Meta communication can be intentional or unintentional For example At least try to reach in examination hall on time
  8. 8. Kinesic communication is a message conveyed through non verbal acts, Kinesic include  Eye contact  Facial Expression  Emotions  Gesture  Posture  Touch
  9. 9.  Kinesic communication is also known as body language or body talk. It include the entire non verbal behavior of the communicator unconsciously. It transmits the unstated feelings, attitude and hidden intentions of the speaker.
  10. 10. A non verbal message conveyed through bodily movements is known as Leakage. messages ‘slipping out’ in spite of our attempts to control them – ensures that high credibility is given to non-verbal cues in the area of feeling, emotion and attitude puts a lot of power in the hands of a skilled communicator
  11. 11.      It include Instrumental body movements Can be Intentional & unintentional Continuous and never ending More convincing Indicator of reality
  12. 12. According to Ekman’s classification is  Emblems  Illustrators  Body manipulators  Facial expressions  Regulators – Eye movements
  13. 13.  Emblems Gestures that can substitute for words  Illustrators Illustrators are movements of hands and arms for representing size, shape, frequency and speed of something  Body manipulators Acts of touching without reason one’s own body or an object also known as unintentional acts using manipulators is often a sign of discomfort not always
  14. 14.  Facial expressions The arrangements of facial muscles to communicate emotional states or reaction to message  Regulators-Eye movements Eye movements shows interest, involvement, rejection and annoyance etc
  15. 15.      In the United States it is a symbol for good job In Germany the number one In Japan the number five In Ghana an insult In Malaysia the thumb is used to point rather than a finger 17
  16. 16.    Symbols of body language Face facts Gesture
  17. 17. In interview, negotiation or in one to one meeting smiling face create pleasant relation
  18. 18. Include  Positive gesture  Negative  Sign of Nervousness  Gesture showing aggressiveness  Gesture showing rudeness  Gesture showing self importance  Gesture showing lack of good sense  Gesture showing superiority
  19. 19. Creating a climate that facilitates learning and retention demands good nonverbal skills.

×