Bhringraj or Bhengra
[Eclipta alba (L.) Hassk.] [E. prostrate(L) L; Verbesina prostrate
Common (Indian) Names:
Hindi- Balari, Bhangra, Bhringraj, Bhengra, Mochkand, Bhangaraiya.
Gujerati- Bhangro, Dadhal, Kalobhangro
Canarase- Ajagara, Garagadasoppu, Kadigga-garaga
Marathi- Bhangra, Maka
Sanskrit- Bhringraj, Markara, Pitripriya, Sunilaka, Keshrangana
Kannada – Garagada Soppu, Garga
Telugu– Guntagal Agaraku, Galgara
Tamil– Kayanthakarra, Kaikeshi,
Malayalam- Jala Bhangara, Tekaraja
Arabi – Kadimulambit
Other Uncommon Names of This Herb: False Daisy, Bhringaraj,
Bringraj, Eclipta, Han lian cao, Takasaburou, Verba de tago, Congo
Lanna, Babri, Galagara, Gunta-kalagara, Kaikeshi, Karisha-langanni,
Karisirang-kanni, Kesharaji, Kesuri, Kesuria, Kesutti, Maka, Mochkand.
• Family– Compositae, Asteraceae
• Habitat/Occurrence: In paddy growing areas of
India, it occur as common weed. In many parts of
India it is grown commercially as a medicinal crop.
• Related Species: Four species have been reported
so far in warmer parts of America, Africa, Asia and
• Botany: An annual herb.
• Stem: Stems and branches are strigose and hairy.
• Leaves: Opposite, sessile, oblong- lanceolate; also
strigose and hairy.
• Flowers: In heads, involucral bracts, axillary, ray
flowers ligulate; disk ones tubular.
• Fruit: Achene.
• Flowering Time: October to December in Indian
• Useful Parts: Whole plant.
• Medicinal Properties and Uses: The herb is an Ayurveda and Yunani medicine.
According to Ayurveda philosophy Eclipta is bitter, hot fattening, alterative,
anthelminticum, and alexipharmic. It is useful in inflammations, hernia, eye diseases,
bronchitis, asthama, leucoderma, anaemia, heart and skin diseases, right blindness,
syphilis etc. It is reported as beneficial for complexion, hair, eyes, and teeth.
• Popular Ayurvedic Formulations: Bhringraj ghrit, Bhringraj taiil, Bhringrajadi
• Chemical Constituents: The plant contains the alkaloid ecliptine. Other chemicals
identified are wedelolactone, wedelic acid, apigenin, luteolin, b-amyrin etc.
• Season: Kharif (June–July in Indian conditions)
• Propagation: Through seeds
• Seed Rate: 3 kg/ha
• Manures: In India, Bhringraj is grown organically. No chemical inputs are used, only
15–20 tonnes farm yard manure/ha at the time of sowing is applied.
• Maturity: 3–3.5 months after sowing
Major chemical constituents- Ecliptic, Wedelolactone, Des-methyl wedelolactone, stigmasterol;
Heptacosanol, Hentriacontanol, sixteen polyacetylenic thiophenes etc.
Bhringaraj medicinal qualities –
Rasa (taste) – Katu (pungent), Tikta (bitter)
Guna (qualities) – Rooksha (dryness), Laghu (light to digest)
Veerya- Ushna – Hot potency
VIpaka- Katu – undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion.
Effect on Tridosha – Because of its pungent, bitter taste, dryness and lightness, it balances Kapha
Dosha. Because of its hot potency, it balances Vata. Hence, it balances Kapha and Vata Doshas
Bhringaraja juice extract – is administered for the purpose of rejuvenation, for a long period of
time. While its administration, the patient is made to eat only cooked rice with milk. This helps to
improve strength, immunity, fertility and life expectancy.
Fresh Juice 5-10 ml
Powder – 250 mg – 2 grams in divided dose per day, or as advised by Ayurveda doctor.
Hepato-protectiveactivityofEcliptaalba(liver protective action)
BHRINGRAJ [Eclipta alba] side effects:
There are no known side effects with this medicine.
It is used in medicines of pediatric conditions and in lactating mothers.
Pregnant mothers should seek doctor’s advice before taking this herb.
Akshirogahrut – useful in eye diseases
Dantya – improves strength of teeth
Tvachya – improves skin quality, useful in skin diseases
Keshya – improves quality of hair.
Hence it is one of the prime herbs used in many hair oils,like Bhringamalakadi Tailam
Rasayana – rejuvenating, anti aging
Kasahara – relieves cough, cold. Hence Bhringarajasavam, a very famous medicine with
Bhringaraja as main ingredient is quite commonly prescribed in respiratory infections, cold, cough etc.
Krumihara – useful in intestinal worm infestation and infected wounds
Shwasahara – useful in asthma, and other respiratory diseases
Kushtahara – useful in skin diseases
Kesharanjana – useful in grey hairs
Vishaghna – anti-poisonous, anti-toxic
• It reduces kapha,
• Use of bhringraj in increasing heamoglobin level,
strengthening of bones,
• Act as tonic for eyes, brain, intestine, liver, spleen.
• Bhringraj is an important Ayurveda herb, widely used in
hair fall treatment, liver disorders, skin diseases etc.
• For Healthy Function of Liver: "Powder of Bhringraj"
mixed with "Black Pepper" and "Mishri". Take 1 teaspoon
twice a day with water.
• As a Tonic: Take 1 teaspoon or 3 gm of "Bhringraj
Powder" daily with water for several days. It acts as
rasayana and provides rejuvenating effects.
• For Healthy Skin: "Bhringraj Powder" paste with water
when applied on skin. It helps various skin problems.
• For Burning Sensation during Urine Pass Out: Mix
"Bhringraj Powder" and "Salt". Take it with water. It gives
relief in Burning sensation in urine.
• Headache: Mix "Bhringraj Powder" in little oil (any oil)
and apply on the forehead. It helps in relieveing the
• Action and Uses as per Ayurveda: It is considered as a
nervine tonic as its alterative and pacifying nature
pacifies the mind; hence it can be used in disturbed,
angry or irritated emotions from high Pitta (Fire). It
reduces Vata (Air) indirectly by calming the flames of
Pitta (Fire).Bhringraj is an Ayurvedic herb found
throughout India. Bhringraj means “Ruler of the hair”. It is
best for hair loss, Premature graying of hair. It also helps
to make hair strong.
• Bhringraj Powder is considered as a rasayana (rejuvenator). It helps in rejuvenating
• It is also a natural conditioner and a cooling agent for hair. From long time Indian
people use Bhringraj Herbal Powder for healthy hair growth, natural colour to hair and
for improving the overall hair health.
• Bhringraj Powder helps for healthy function of liver. As liver is the controller of the
metabolism of the body. Thus it improves the metabolism of liver and provides
strength to the body by rejuvenating each and every part of the body.
• It helps for the digestion of “Ama” (undigested food).
• Bhringraj Powder helps in purification of blod. It helps to promote lustrous complexion.
It can be taken orally or applied on the skin directly in the form of a paste.
• It is believed that use of Bhringraj Powder improves the look and health of skin with
the result it appears younger and healthy.
• Bhringraj Powder also helps to cleanse and rejuvenate both the kidneys.
• It helps to maintain normal level of cholesterol as in normal healthy person.
• Powder of Bringraj is also effective in eye sight.
• It helps to maintain normal body temperature.
Mix "Bhringraj Powder" with "Amla Powder" makes a paste and
applies on hair. Wash after some times.Combine "Bhringraj
Powder" with "Coconut Oil" to make conditioning oil. This
Preparation when applied on hair gives shine, health and strength
Make a paste of "Bhringraj Powder" with water. Gently massage
with rotating finger tips. Wait for 30 minutes. Wash thoroughly with
Use "Bhringraj Powder" in combination of "Amla", "Brahmi",
"Shikakai", "Tulsi" and "Neem". Make a paste of it, apply it on
hairs. Regular use of this combination shows you wonderful
growth of hair and hair conditioning benefits.
[For Antidandruff]- Mix "Bhringraj Powder" in water or oil and
make a paste. Apply it to Scalp. Rinse hair after some time. It
helps to rejuvenate the hair and scalp.
1. The key to growing hair is improvement of blood
circulation which needs a massage. So take about 4-5
teaspoon of bhringraj oil – more or less according to your
hair length. Heat it gently for about half a minute. Apply
this lukewarm oil all over your scalp and hair length.
Massage the scalp in circulatory motion. It is best to get
someone to do it for you while you relax.
2. Next take small partitions of your hair and gently tug at
your hair roots to stimulate them. Massage your head for
about ten minutes and leave the oil on the scalp at least
for an hour.
3. Overnight soaking gives you best results. Use a towel
on your pillow to prevent staining.
4. For best results, wash it off with a natural hair wash or
a mild shampoo.
Repeat this at least twice a week. Many women have
seen dramatic changes in their hair withing a month of
1. Regular use of bhringraj oil for oiling the hair helps in preventing
greying and helps in regaining original hair color.
2. The oil is normally a blend of bhringraj with amla, shikakai in oils of coconut
or sesame. All these oils and herbs help in making your hair thick and
3. The oil prevents scalp infections like dandruff and gives you irritation free
4. Massaging your hair with bhringraj oil gives relief from headaches and
5. Massaging also helps improve blood circulation to the scalp which in turn
promotes hair growth.
6. Regular use also makes your hair stronger and shinier.
7. The oil has cooling properties on the mind and body, which helps relive
stress and stress-related hair-fall.
8. It is a natural oil with no dangerous side effects. The only side effect that is
sometimes possible is that if you are using it in the winter, do not leave it
overnight if you have a tendency to catch a cold easily. Since the oil is so
cooling, applying it overnight can induce a cold.21/9/2015 17
Chief Ingredients: Bhringa, Malati, Chitraka,
Aswagandha, Naktamala, Narikela Taila
Indication: An effective application for premature
grey hair, baldness, dandruff, pediculosis capitis
and many other scalp affections.
• BHRINGAMALAKA TAILA
(V. C. - Modified) Chief Ingredients: Bhringaraja,
Amalaki, Deodar, Amruta, Kumari, Bilva.
Indication: It is an excellent bathing oil for routine
use. If used continuously it protects head from
scorching heat and prevents damage to brain. It
reduces burning in the head, eyes and ears.
BHRINGRAJ is an important ayurvedic herb with diagnostic, treating and healing
properties.it works on creating balance in tridosha – vatta, pitta, kapha
• Hair oil:- extremly effective in hair-loss, hair growth, cooling effect, antidandruff
action( paste of powder + oil) on scalp. Also as an Anti-rheumetic agent
• Powder:- anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, memory enhancer,
• Capsule, Extract & tonics are used as to treat and maintain the disbalance
• Anti-Aging:-The cleansing action of bhringaraj in the liver and kidneys help create a
cleaner system, thus improving the appearance of one’s
complexion. It also helps relieve stress, thus preventing the tired, dull look associated
with aging. It also has properties that rejuvenate the body, thus creating a younger,
• LIVER DETOXIFICATION:- Bhringaraj acts in the liver and kidneys by promoting
rejuvenation. This aids the body in eliminating excess toxins and keeping the cells
healthy and young looking.