• Fatema F
• Fathema A
• Mumbai’s growth since the 1940s has been steady
if not phenomenal. At the turn of the 20th century
its population was some 850,000; by 1950 it had
more than doubled; and over the next 50 years it
increased nearly 10-fold to exceed 16 million.
• The city’s birth rate is much lower than that of the
country as a whole because of family-planning
• The high overall growth rate is largely attributable
to the influx of people in search of employment.
• Because of the limited physical expanse of
the city, the growth in Mumbai’s population
has been accompanied by an astounding
increase in population density.
• By the start of the 21st century the city had
reached an average of some 68,500 persons
per square mile (26,500 per square km).
• Settlement is especially dense in much of
the city’s older section; the wealthy areas
near Back Bay are less heavily populated.
• The city is truly cosmopolitan, and
representatives of almost every religion and
region of the world can be found there.
• Almost half the population is Hindu. Significant
religious minorities include Muslims, Christians,
Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs, Zoroastrians, and Jews.
• Almost every Indian language and many foreign
languages are spoken in Mumbai.
• Marathi, the state language, is the dominant
Indian language, followed by Gujarati, Hindi,
and Bengali (Bangla). Other languages include
Pashto, Arabic, Chinese, English, and Urdu.
Current Population of Mumbai in 2012 is 13,000,000*
Current Population of Mumbai
Current Population of Mumbai is estimated to be
around 20.5 million. It is estimated that in the next 20
years, the population of Mumbai will grow 10 times
than its figure in 1950.
Population composition in Mumbai
Hinduism continued to be the largest religion in
Mumbai with 67.30% Hindu population. Muslims with
18.56% population forms the second largest religious
community in the city. The religions of Buddhists
(5.22%), Jains (3.99%), Christians (4.2%) and Sikhs
(0.58%) have also significance presence in Mumbai.
Parsis and Jews making up for the rest of the
Mumbai Population Growth
• Mumbai - one of the India's leading cosmopolitan
city is home to more than 13000000 people.
There has been significant rise in population of
Mumbai in the last 20 years. There are several
factors which contribute to the population
growth like migration of population and health
measures taken by the government. Awareness
of population programs especially in the slum
and remote areas can help check the rising
population. Check out Population of Mumbai in
the last 50 years.