Social Media for
Day 2:August 8, 2013
National Computer Institute
Ruben Canlas Jr
Based on materials originally developed by
Emmanuel Lallana, PhD
for UN AP-CICT
1Wednesday, August 14, 13
4. Social Media as a
2Wednesday, August 14, 13
After the 2-day workshop, participants will be able to:
1. Explain what social media are and how they evolved.
2. Discuss various existing and potential issues and
applications of social media for promoting development
3. Demonstrate the actual use of social media using various
tools to run and monitor campaigns.
4. Outline the principles for an effective agency policy and
strategy towards the use of social media.
3Wednesday, August 14, 13
• Introduction to Social Media
• Social Media are Transforming Society
• Social Media as a Development Tool
• Group Homework
4Wednesday, August 14, 13
• Presentations of Group Work
• Governance by Social Media
• Public Communications through Social
5Wednesday, August 14, 13
Group Work Presentations
• Report on how a government agency (preferably your
agency) uses social media.
• Identify 3 key strengths
• Identify 3 key limitations or potential uses
• 3 Slides only
• Restrictions and Options
• MMDA not included (too popular)
• Agencies in other countries are allowed
Reporting (10 min per group)
6Wednesday, August 14, 13
• Do any 3 of the following:
• Facebook: Create an advertisement (go through the
steps but don’t pay).
• Twitter: ﬁnd tips on how to improve your effectiveness
on Twitter. If you don’t have an account yet, open one.
• Read about Hootsuite. Sign up and try it out.
Demonstrate what it could do.
What insights did you have?
7Wednesday, August 14, 13
FB Ads and Hootsuite
8Wednesday, August 14, 13
4. Governance by
9Wednesday, August 14, 13
Citizen participation used to be
limited only to voting every 4 years
10Wednesday, August 14, 13
Used to be only for
Used to be only for law-
11Wednesday, August 14, 13
Unfortunately, the wiki was shut down
after the act was passed.
It would’ve been nicer of
them to simply lock the
wiki, [and] leave it in situ...
14Wednesday, August 14, 13
"Wikipedia for spies" -- Time Magazine
15Wednesday, August 14, 13
Image Source: Wikipedia
16Wednesday, August 14, 13