Social Media for
Day 1:August 7, 2013
National Computer Institute
Ruben Canlas Jr
Based on materials originally developed by
Emmanuel Lallana, PhD
for UN AP-CICT
1Wednesday, August 14, 13
3. Social Media as a
2Wednesday, August 14, 13
ICT for Development
The use of ICT to facilitate integrated
approaches and cost-effective scalable solutions in
key sectors of development, such as:
• Poverty reduction
• Health care
• Natural resources management
• Disaster risk management.
Social media for
(SM4D) is a
subset of ICT4Dev
3Wednesday, August 14, 13
Another way to put it
ICT in general, and social media in particular,
are tools for “advancing the richness of
4Wednesday, August 14, 13
Puddle gives everyday people the
opportunity to own a small virtual
“bank” with their friends—no fees and
no applications. Users decide on
interest rates, who can be members,
and who can borrow money. The best
part: profits made from the interest
rates paid by borrowers are distributed
among group members.
7Wednesday, August 14, 13
• The idea behind it is to pool our own
individual little funds to help these children
get to school safe and dry.
• Initially, donate yellow school boats
•Evolved to providing school supplies,
medical/dental missions, scholarships and
20Wednesday, August 14, 13
• Visit yellowboat.org now
• Click through various sections and discuss what strikes you
about the site:
• Would you donate to them? Why/why not?
• What elements of the site compel you to help out?
• Would you invite others to visit the site? What parts of
the site make it easier for you to do this?
• Do they have Facebook and Twitter?
• Based on your discussions, what would you say are the
elements of a good campaign using social media?
21Wednesday, August 14, 13
• Report on how a government agency (preferably your
agency) uses social media.
• Identify 3 key strengths
• Identify 3 key limitations or potential uses
• 3 Slides only
• Restrictions and Options
• Agencies in other countries are allowed (only if your
agency doesn’t have a social media presence)
Reporting on Day 2
22Wednesday, August 14, 13
• Do any 3 of the following:
• Facebook: Create an advertisement (go through the
steps but don’t pay).
• Twitter: ﬁnd tips on how to improve your effectiveness
on Twitter. If you don’t have an account yet, open one.
• Read about Hootsuite. Sign up and try it out.
Demonstrate what it could do.
23Wednesday, August 14, 13
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
24Wednesday, August 14, 13