This presentation created by Anthony William Tucker of the Rogers State University Innovation Center discusses basic fundamentals and advanced tactics in Facebook business page development. For information on Facebook develop go to, http://www.GetMeFoundOnline.com
Contest create like totals that are fluff. It is more important to target those individuals who actually want to engage with your brand and not just for a contest because 99.9999% of the time those who just like a page for a contest will not receive marketing messages from the brand in their newsfeed because they are not relevant because of the lack of activity.
Conduct example of Display AD Network ad placement via Lifeway Homes…CPC cost versus CPM cost and Facebook’s house bet or opportunity cost.
Taming the Facebook Frontier: Facebook Business Page Training
Facebook Business Page Training
Presented By: Anthony William Tucker
firstname.lastname@example.org or 918-338-8039
Brought To You By:
About Me/About You
• Who am I: Anthony William Tucker
• What is my job: New Media Specialist at the Innovation Center powered by RSU
• What is my background: Guerrilla marketing strategist with experience in both
public and private sectors in marketing, branding, public relations, social media,
and search engine optimization.
• Why am I here in Nowata County: Training correlates with Entrepreneur Ready
Community Certification process Nowata County is undergoing with the guidance
of the Innovation Center. The goal is to help Nowata create business climate that
attracts outside dollars and keeps dollars from leaking from the community.
• Why should you listen to me: I will teach you the skills that it will take to increase
sales revenue through social media tactics and build long-term authentic brand
relationships with your most profitable customers.
• What can I provide you: I can provide you with high-level insight and resources to
guide you to dominate your market via social media. I am available for phone calls,
meetings, and web meetings to help with this process. I can’t undertake the
development of your social media presence for your brand by myself. The
Innovation Center is not a full-service marketing agency, we are a resource to help
businesses and organizations gain insight and wisdom on how to better their
business and their bottom line.
• How can you contact me: By email, email@example.com or by phone, 918-338-8039.
You can also find me on Facebook, Facebook.com/TuckerForOklahoma or on my
Take a breath. No really. Please.
Please Agree to the open mind policy
What We Are Going to Cover
• Why should your business/organization leverage Facebook
• Personal Facebook page versus business page
• Creating and optimizing a Facebook page for search engine indexing
– Branding your Facebook Business Page
• Timeline Cover
• Profile Image
– Phone Number
• What do I post about and how do I ensure that my audience sees my post
• Know the value of a “Like”
– Scheduling out your posts
– Tagging within posts, photos, and videos
• Learning what applications to use on a Facebook page to increase engagement and awareness of
• How to place an ad on Facebook
– Cost per Action
– Targeting your audience
What is Facebook?
• History: Facebook was founded in 2004 at Harvard University and
now has over 100 billion users.
• Why Does it Exist: Facebook exists to allow two-communication
between friends, family members, co-workers, and brands.
• Why is it Important to Businesses: Facebook tracks every action
that a Facebook user makes and based on that action they can put
these consumers in categories that allow businesses to target them
with more precision than ever before. Facebook also encourages an
open line of communication between brands/companies and their
current customers. This allows for customers to build stronger
affinity with brands/companies which keep the customer coming
back to interact with the company and purchase from the company
even more than before the social media network went commercial.
• What Facebook is not: Facebook is not the place to where you post
only one-way communication sales messages that do not
encourage two way messaging. Facebook is not the end all to your
marketing issues. Your Facebook strategy must be integrated with
an integrated marketing strategy that leverages various promotional
outlets. Facebook is not for all businesses!
Why Should I Buy Into This?
• Why Now: Your most profitable audience is consuming media/content at
higher frequencies more than ever and now are feeling a sense of
entitlement when it comes to having content when and where they want
it. Your brand needs to stay relevant.
• Why Me: Your customers and potential customers are wanting to engage
with your brand through Facebook and other social media platforms.
Thanks to these platforms you can build stronger relationships with your
current customers which leads to more sales and more profit (Lower
Acquisition Costs Versus Standard Promotional Shotgun Approach
Platforms). Also, potential customers are out in the social-sphere looking
for products and services to buy make sure your brand is in their mind
when it comes to decision time.
• I Hate Facebook: This isn’t about personal preferences it is about making
money and allocating your promotional dollars and time to the most
rewarding/efficient platforms that are available. Facebook for businesses
can bring exponential rewards and access to current and potential
customers that is not available anywhere else.
• Google Partnership: Google is now partnering with Facebook and
Facebook shares are now more important that ever because they are
playing a factor in Google’s search engine algorithim.
• Creating a Facebook business page for those who don’t have an account
• Analyzing current Facebook business page performance for those with
• Why you must have a personal account to access the business page account
Personal Page Versus Business Page
• Is where you connect with your friends,
family members, co-workers, etc.
• You add a friend or send a friend request
to someone you want to connect with.
• You must have a personal account to
create a page or become a Facebook
business page content creator or
• You can mass message your contacts
about events or personal happenings.
• You can customize your Facebook
personal page address with your personal
name. Not your business name! There is
no going back to claim usernames once
– Good Example:
– Bad Example:
• You don’t have to approve a “Like”
for someone to begin to follow
• The business page content is
completely separate from you
• You choose a username that is
either SEO specific or is branded for
• This is where you send your
audience to connect with your
business not your personal page.
• You can run ads through this page
but it must be connected with a
personal account and a credit-card.
Facebook Business Page Basics Activity
• You want to choose a username for your
page to make it easier to communicate to
your audience. Make sure it is consistent
with your website domain name and
other social media handles. Example:
• You want to have a timeline cover, the big
image, that fits the specs to the right.
Make sure the image is engaging and is
conveying the message you are trying to
get across about your business.
• Profile images, profile images, whew,
there is an issue. Make sure that you
profile image is high-resolution and don’t
try to squeeze your logo into the profile
image. You can put your full version logo
within the timeline cover.
• Is your business a brick and mortar? If so,
you need to ensure that your location,
map icon, hours, and phone number are
correct. This is imperative for local search
results within Facebook and Google.
Example: Facebook mobile update
• Categorizing your page is essential to
internal and external search engine
• Know how to upload photos and videos
and tag them and put them in an album.
• Always link each image or video back to a
specific page on your website for more
Timeline Cover Generators
• If you don’t own publishing software such as
Microsoft Publisher or Adobe
InDesign/Photoshop you can create custom
branded timeline covers at pagemodo for free.
• These cover photos will be automatically added
to your Facebook page. You will just need to add
a website link to your cover photo, tag the photo,
and add a location to the photo.
– Example: Nesting Necessities
Drive Traffic to Your Facebook Page Organically
• What is Organic: Organic is any promotion of
your Facebook page that does not cost.
• How do I do this: Integrate Facebook icon and
address on all touch points with your audience
– Business Cards
– Store Front
– Website Icons
– Think outside of the box be a guerrilla marketer
The Value of a Like
• What it isn’t: A like for your Facebook business page does
not ensure that the person who liked your Facebook page
will see the majority of your posts (Edge) from your brand.
• What is more important: What is more important than a
like is to have an engaged user who consistently liking,
sharing, and commenting within your page. That will
increase the opportunities to have other people who is
connected with the engaged user to see their activity with
• Take it at face value: At face value a like is simply a
individual who gave their thumbs up approval of your page
for some reason and is someone you have the potential of
reaching with marketing messages of value if they are
relevant to the person who “liked” the page.
What/When/How do I post about?
• What not to post: Don’t post sales oriented one-way communication
messages consistently on your brand’s page. This will not encourage
engagement with your Facebook page and will lead to the majority of your
audience tuning out of your messaging.
• What to post: Post two-way messages that encourage your audience to
communicate with you but don’t confuse that will irrelevant two-way
messages that don’t serve the end goal of punching a sale! Do post about
events at your business, new hires, open positions, inventory suggestions,
etc. I highly recommended setting standard posting days with your
audience. Example, Throwback Thursdays. If you post photos/videos your
audience is more likely to see your post in their newsfeed.
• When do I post: Post at least once a day to stay relevant with your
audience and their news feed. However if the post if not of value then
don’t just fluff it because Facebook will see right through that and will not
index your post for all to see.
• How do I post: You can post through your desktop, mobile phone, or
tablet. You simply go to your Facebook page’s homepage and start typing
and select videos, photos, or questions you want to add to your post.
• Facebook Edge Rankings-How do I ensure that my messages are being seen
by the majority of my audience.
• Advanced Messaging Development-Importance of hashtags and how to
schedule your messages out in advanced. #AWT2016
• How do I place an ad on Facebook
• Facebook PPC
• Facebook Sponsored Stories
• Facebook Promote Your Post
• Adding applications to your Facebook business page
• Advanced Photos and Videos-Tagging and adding location to each asset to
ensure that it can be indexed by Facebook and search engines.
Advanced Thinking Cap Time
Facebook Edge Rankings
• What it is: The algorithm that
Facebook uses to determine what
posts or edges will show up in a
• What it isn’t: This isn’t is an exact
science because of Facebook
changing the weight of each edge
to keep us guessing but it is very
important to know the factors
behind who sees your brand’s
• What is important: Your
engagement with your
fans/followers, the content you are
posting or the fan/follower is
engaging with, and the amount of
time it is live.
• Where to learn more:
• How do I know my EdgeRank: You
can check your page’s edgerank for
Advanced Messaging 101
Integrating Edge Rankings
• Now I do what: Now that we know
that they key to success organically
(For FREE) is to drive engagement
with our audience we need to cater
our messages to include not only
buzz worthy content but it needs to
include weighted items in the post.
– Event Shares
• How do I track success: Try
analyzing your insights to see when
the most engagement occurs on
your page versus the number of
posts you post per day.
• What is it: Become a guerrilla
marketing master by scheduling out
your standard Facebook posts out
• Why should I: Because the majority
of Facebook traffic and
engagement occurs within the
market segments who have larger
amounts of disposable income on
the weekends and weekday nights.
You are not at work but you can
schedule out two-way engaging
messages to be posted at these
high traffic times.
Advanced Messaging 102: Hashtags
• What it is: A hashtag or #, is a symbol that people place before a
keyword that is in discussion within their post.
• Does this matter on Facebook: Hashtags are now indexed on
Facebook’s new version. This means that when people search for
your brand or keywords for your brand you would ideally want your
posts to appear.
• How many hashtags per post: You want to limit the number of
hashtags you use within you posts to 4. After 4 they become
• Teach me how to hashtag: You will want to have a standard hashtag
for your brand and then you will add hashtags per promotional
campaign to drive traffic to your website or Facebook page. You can
also add hashtags per industry or geographically related keywords.
Promoting Your Business on Facebook
• Promote Your Post
– This platform will increase the number of
people who see your post for a cost based on
the number of likes you have.
• Pay for increasing number of followers and
friends of followers to see post.
• Pay for targeted audience chosen by you to see
• Display Ad Network
– Pay per click (CPC) or by thousand
impressions (CPM) to a very targeted
audience to have your brand’s message
displayed on the right hand side of the
– Most targeted form of promotion on the
block. You can get as specific as you want.
Facebook tracks everything personal users do
on Facebook so why wouldn’t they know your
audience the best.
– Cost per action is the key for success. Set a
budget and analyze the success of your ad
after two weeks then change if necessary.
– If using the default bidding method, CPM, you
will have a better return on investment
because the more successful your ad is the
more times Facebook will show it!
• Sponsored Stories
– Sponsored stories are a type of ad that shows
people's interactions with a Page, app or event to
their friends within their newsfeed.
– This is important because people are influenced
by other people. Market maven example.
– Sponsored stories respect the individual privacy
settings of people on Facebook. Only people who
are eligible to see the original News Feed story
can see it as a sponsored story.
• Event Promotion
– Same setup as Display Ad Network ad placement.
Only difference is that your goal is to increase
attendance to this event.
– Pay per click or by thousand impressions.
– Most targeted form of promotion via
demographics and Geographic's.
Increasing Likes Through Campaigns:
Like Gating 101
Old Like Gating New Like Gating Methods
Creating a Like Gate Contest
– Free platform available to add
custom engaging like gate
contests to your Facebook page
via an application.
– Free platform for one page that
allows you to create branded
like gating contest to increase
engagement and your page’s
• Video Contest
• Photo Contest
• Fan Profiles
Do’s and Don’ts
• What to do: Do leverage
campaigns that encourage your
most profitable customers both
current and potential to engage
with your brand organically.
• Don’t do: Don’t just offer gift
cards or cash prizes for generic
likes of your page. This individuals
aren’t your target audience and
most likely will never return to
your page. Plus, remember if
they’re not engaged they won’t
see your brand messages in their
• Please don’t do this:
Applications on Facebook Page
• Video Application
• Photo Application
• Events Application
– Event promotion via
Facebook is huge for the
event’s success. GO VIRAL!
• If you can dream it, there is an app
• Direct traffic to your website or
– Just Redirect
• Other social media feeds
• Email Marketing Integration App
– MailChimp-Capture email addresses
directly from you Facebook page.
– Customize the app.
• Multiple Locations
– Bullseye Location
What are the most important apps?
Importance of Tagging
Search Engines Need Tags
• Why should I care: Thanks to the
new Facebook operating systems
tags within posts, photos, and
videos are now more important
• Local drives searches: As within
search engine results on
Google/Bing/Yahoo local searches
dominate the results. You need to
add a location to each photo and
• What do I do: Tag your business
every photo and video it is in and
when it is applicable tag the
business in posts on your brand’s
WARNING STATEMENT: You control your brand’s destiny
and you must determine what is the most optimal amount
of time and money to spend on social media development.
There are professional service providers out there who
could take this task off of your hands. Don’t sell your brand
short by not setting up a strategy for social media and
fading out after a dismal effort. You will loose customers
• View today’s Presentation and Self-Help videos online:
• Request services from the RSU Innovation Center:
• Contact the instructor:
– Anthony William Tucker
– Office Hours: 8-5 pm M-F (M-W in Bartlesville, TH-F in
– Phone: 918-338-8039
– Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/RSUInnovationCenter
– AWT’s Last day at the Innovation Center, Friday, August 9th