The Flipped Classroom
What I have learned so far!
R. Redekopp and Class Dec 2014
Ideas from my course
University of Manitoba
Flipping and Blending Your Classroom to Enhance C21 Skills
It’s not a “Solution”
● The FC is not a ‘solution.’ It is a strategy.
● You can use all or part of it.
● You can use the idea of a changed classroom and
Videos - Teacher
● You do not have to make the video - there are hundreds
out there now
● You do not have to be ‘in’ the video
● First few alway take way longer - it gets better
● content matters and it’s still direct instruction
● shorter is better
● perfection is a dream - you need it tomorrow
● videos help you learn about your own teaching/speaking
● helps you focus on key ideas
Videos - Student
● watching will have the same response rate as
● express a favourable view but don’t necessarily watch
● they need to be taught how to watch ‘instructional’ video
● keeping notes or answering brief questions can help
keep their attention
● this is where the learner ‘control’ comes in: pause,
rewind, skip, quit, rewatch ...
● Video can be homework
● Can be watched in class as necessary
● Good for review
● You might get a few more who watch the video than
might do the homework
The Changed Classroom
It better be different - do activities there wasn’t time for before
● The ‘found’ time must be used well to enhance learning and keep students
● There is more time to interact with each student
● It takes time to adapt to a new style and gather new resources
● Students may not recognize the difference initially and may not appreciate
the new style (they have been well trained in the old style)
● It can feel chaotic unless you really know where you want it to be going.
● Lots of patience required!!!!!
● Nothing is proven
● Results are generally positive - certainly in regard to
● May be just the Hawthorne effect or the teacher
Assessment and C21 Skills
● more opportunity for “For’ assessment
● needs to be more obvious on the report card
● In theory the extra class time should allow students to
demonstrate C21 skills
● Extra time should also allow for students to express
their learning through alternative media.
● Writing/powerpoint should not be allowed for some