(1) Why Is Energy
• To do work.
• To do all life processes:
– Metabolize and Excrete
– Maintain Homeostasis
(2) Types of Energy
• Chemical Potential Energy:
– Stored energy in the bonds of
• Kinetic Energy:
– Energy of motion.
– Energy being used right now in
(3) Cycling of Energy and
• Both energy and matter and continuously
cycled throughout the environment.
• When molecules are broken down, energy is
released to another system.
• When molecules are produced
(bonded together), energy is stored for later.
(4) ATP and ADP
• Both store energy in their phosphate bonds.
• ATP = Adenosine Triphosphate
– Contains 3 phosphates.
– Can RELEASE energy if you remove the 3rd
• ADP = Adenosine Diphosphate
– Contains 2 phosphates.
– Can STORE energy if you add a 3rd phosphate.
(5) Chemical Formulas To
• CO2 = Carbon Dioxide (gas)
• H2O = Water (vapor / gas)
• C6H12O6 = Glucose
• O2 = Oxygen (gas)
• Sunlight = Sunlight
(6) Chemical Equation
– On the left side of equation.
– Starting ingredients or molecules for the
– On the right side of the equation.
– What you make at the end of the reaction.