Upstairs Downstairs

2,481 views

Published on

Published in: Sports, Business, Technology
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Upstairs Downstairs

  1. 1. Reaching Our Patrons and Staff One Step at a Time
  2. 2. The Facts A recent survey sponsored by NoveList reveals that 77% of participants agreed that library marketing increases overall community awareness of the library, yet only 32% rated their marketing as effective.
  3. 3. The Mission “Our mission, if we choose to accept it, is to reach out to our customers to help us promote libraries to existing and potential customers and to develop advocacy networks to ensure future funding.” - Bite-Sized Marketing
  4. 4. The Word • Define what is meant by “Marketing” within your library • Be familiar with different types of marketing • Develop a marketing strategy and set realistic goals • Empower staff by focusing on strengths and providing training for weaknesses
  5. 5. Word of Mouth Marketing Based on the concept that 10% of the population influences the behavior of the other 90%. Step 1 Create a product that’ll get people excited Step 2 Get the info into the hands of influencers Step 3 Give influencers tools to share
  6. 6. Benefits of Marketing • Shows customers what libraries have to offer • Helps libraries to remain relevant in changing world • Allows libraries to reach diverse audiences • Helps project a positive and professional image • Demonstrates value to customers • Gains organizational support • Enhances visibility • Shapes perception of users • Engenders accountability
  7. 7. Barriers to Marketing UPSTAIRS Weak support from administration DOWNSTAIRS Lack of marketing knowledge THE WHOLE STAIRWELL Lack of strategic planning and implementation
  8. 8. Meldrum’s Marketing Model in Libraries Positive relationship between openness to change and extroversion affect staff attitudes toward marketing.
  9. 9. Simple Solutions • Communicate • Collaborate • Clean up • Create
  10. 10. PR Workflow 1. Gather key information about an event 2. Add event immediately to Outlook Calendar 3. Create flyer and save as PDF & JPG on network 4. Write a press release and save on network 5. Insert links to flyer and press release location on network 6. “Invite Attendees” and share invitation with “PR Team” 7. Take it to the potty & beyond 8. Remove flyers immediately after event
  11. 11. Graphic Design Four Basic Principles Contrast Repetition Alignment Proximity
  12. 12. Contrast
  13. 13. Contrast DESIGN TIP: Avoid using red or blue text on a black background!
  14. 14. Repetition DESIGN TIP: Keep fonts and sizes consistent for branding
  15. 15. Graphic Design: Alignment DESIGN TIP: Strong invisible lines add strength to the layout.
  16. 16. Proximity DESIGN TIP: Group related elements together for clarity.
  17. 17. Inspiration & Creativity by edcorbo istockphoto.com File #20206785
  18. 18. File Management Save a copy in My Documents or somewhere only you have access and one copy on a network drive (if applicable). Save as PDF for printing and as JPG for social media. The JPG also streamlines making bookmarks/mini flyers.
  19. 19. Calendar Invitations Stay organized with reminders and color-coding Share with others Link directly to files on network
  20. 20. Calendar Invitations Accept will add the event to his/her Outlook Calendar Find the event info again by clicking on calendar, choosing the month, and clicking to open event. Links will take you directly to file location if accessing the network drive within the library
  21. 21. Internal Marketing
  22. 22. Internal Marketing
  23. 23. www.rplstaffnews.blogspot.com Internal Marketing
  24. 24. www.rplreference.blogspot.com Internal Marketing
  25. 25. www.rplreference.blogspot.com www.rplcirculation.blogspot.com Internal Marketing
  26. 26. www.rplreference.blogspot.com www.rplcirculation.blogspot.com Internal Marketing
  27. 27. External Marketing Social Media Press Releases Posters/Flyers at local businesses Local Partnerships Participating in Community Events
  28. 28. References Brewerton, A. (2008). Marketing marketing to librarians. SCONUL Focus, 44, 39-41. Dowd, N., Evangeliste, M., & Silberman, J. (2010). Bite-sized marketing: Realistic solutions for the overworked librarian. Chicago: American Library Association. Kohli, A. K. & Jaworski, B.J.. (1990). Marketing orientation: The construct, research propositions, and managerial implications. Journal of Marketing, 54.1, 1–18. Meldrum, M. (1996). Critical issues in implementing marketing. Journal of Marketing Practice, 2.3, 29–43. Seddon, T. & Waterhouse, J. (2009). Graphic design for non-designers. San Francisco: Chronicle Books. Williams, R. (2008). The non-designer’s design book: Design and typographic principles for the visual novice, 3rd ed. Berkeley: Peachpit Press.
  29. 29. Sharing is Caring April Everett Rowan Public Library april.everett@rowancountync.gov 704.216.8229

×