Slides describes the journey of great naturalist and scientist Charles Darwin and his research at Galapagos islands.Darwin visited Galapagos islands during 18th century on his famous voyage. The main aim of the voyage was to study zoology and different animal species in each continent.
While his stay at Galapagos Darwin observed species of Giant tortoises and the Finches( also called as Darwin Finches in honor of his work). He found that there was difference in the appearance in animals of the same species relative to their habitat. This research helped Darwin to deliver the famous Theory Of Evolution. Ecuador Government established Charles Darwin Research Center at Galapagos Islands in honor of his work.
• Charles Darwin the famous naturalist
sailed to the Galapagos Islands in the
HMS Beagle in 1831.
• Thirty years later he published his Theory of
Evolution, one of the most revolutionary ideas science
has ever known.
• On December 27, 1831, the HMS Beagle launched its
voyage from U.K. with Darwin in tow.
• Darwin had the unique opportunity to closely observe
principles of botany, geology and zoology.
• Adaptation in the carapace as per
• Species living in habitat with food(grass) at low level had
round carapace and short neck.
• Those living in area with food(grass) at height had long
neck and backed carapace.
• The size and shape of the finches’ beaks was due to their
adaptation to a particular environmental niche.
• Stated two theories from the observations.
• Darwin discovered that Galapagos finches have thirteen
different kinds of beaks.
• A species is a population of organisms that interbreeds
and has fertile offspring.
• Living organisms have descended with modifications
from species that lived before them.
• More organisms are produced than can survive because
of limited resources.
• Organisms struggle for the necessities of life; there is
competition for resources.
• Individuals within a population vary in their traits; some
of these traits are heritable.
• The advantageous trait is being carried to next
• Ecuador Government established Charles Darwin’s
Research Station at Galapagos.
• The place is famous for Darwin’s name and the Giant
Tortoise and the natural beauty.