“How to market them
ROSALINA C. MANANSALA
05 February 2014
The 4 “HOWs” . . .
• How do we define and classify
services, and how do they differ from
• What are the new services realities?
• How can we achieve excellence in
• How can we improve service quality?
• How can goods marketers improve
customer support services?
What is a Service?
1. It is any act or performance one
party can offer to another;
2. It is essentially intangible and does
not result in the ownership of
3. Its production may or may not be
tied to a physical product.
4 Basic Characteristics of Services
• services cannot be seen, tasted, felt, heard, or smelled before they
• services are typically produced and consumed simultaneously
• the quality of services depends on who provides them, when and
where, and to whom, services are highly variable
• services cannot be stored
5 Best Practices of Service-Quality Management
1. Strategic Concept
• "customer obsessed“
• a clear sense of their target customers and their needs
2. Top Management Commitment
• their managements look not only at financial performance on a
monthly basis, but also at service performance
3. High Standards
• best service providers set high service-quality standards
4. Self·Service Technologies (SSTs)
• consumers value convenience in services
• not all SSTs improve service quality, but they can make service
transactions more accurate, convenient, and faster
5. Monitoring Systems - collect voice of the customers
10 “KEYS” To Improve Service Quality
- understand what customers really want
- must be a service priority
3. Basic Service
- must deliver the basics & do what are they
supposed to do
4. Service Design
- take a holistic view of the service
- respond quickly to customer satisfaction
6. Surprising Customers
- process dimensions such as assurance, responsiveness, and
empathy are most important in exceeding customer
7. Fair Play
- demonstrate fairness to customers & employees
- deliver service with care and attentiveness by improving employee
motivation & capabilities
9. Employee Research
- conduct research with employees to reveal service problems &
what companies must do
10. Servant Leadership
- quality service comes from inspired leadership throughout the
1. A service is any act or performance that one party can offer to
another that is essentially intangible , inseparable, variable
and perishable which does not result in the ownership of
2. Marketing of services faces new realities in the 21st century.
It calls not only for external but also for internal marketing
as well as interactive marketing.
3. Top service companies excel at a strategic concept, a history of
top management commitment to quality, high standards,
profit tiers, and systems for monitoring service
performance and customer complaints.
4. Superior service delivery requires managing customer
expectations and incorporating self-service technologies.
Even product-based companies must provide postpurchase service.
Product Marketing is different from Service
Marketing but still we say:
“good marketing is good marketing”.