• Author’s Slide
• Hitting Off a Tee
• Batting Practice Rounds
• Soft Toss
• Taking Ground Balls
• Taking Fly Balls
• Long Toss
• Resource Slide
I am Brad Raj, I am a junior at Grand
Valley State University. I am
currently in my third year with the
GVSU Baseball team. I am going in
to Finance as far as school goes. I am
from Southgate, Michigan, which is
located on the east side
approximately fifteen minutes south
of Detroit. Today I am going to show
you some tips about baseball. Some
of the things that helped me grow
into the player I am today.
If you have any questions you can
email me at email@example.com.
Hitting Off a Tee
• The first thing I do every
day, whether it be at the beginning
of practice or before a game, is hit
off a tee.
• Hitting off a tee helps you level out
your swing before you get in the
cage and take some live pitches.
• It also helps out with your hand-eye
Click the picture to see
• Another thing you should do is work how to hit off a tee!
on hitting outside and inside pitches
as well, every pitch in the game isn’t
going to be right down the middle.
Batting Practice Rounds
• 1st round:
• There is nothing better than just
▫ 5 swings up the middle or opposite field.
getting a bat and having someone
• 2nd round:
throw you some balls.
▫ Situation Round –
• But what you need to know is that 1 hit and run
you shouldn’t be up there just 2 move the runner to second base
swinging for the fence or just 2 score the runner from third base
trying to pull everything down the • 3rd round:
line. ▫ 3-1 counts – Work on hitting “Your”
• So here is what we do at Grand
Valley as far as our Batting
• After that you should be ready for any
Practice rounds go before every
pitch or any situation that comes your
• You may be your team’s 3 or 4
hitter in the middle of the lineup,
but you need to know how to bunt
• Our entire roster knows how to
bunt the ball and is ready to be
called on to do so at any time.
• So don’t neglect working on your
bunting, the longer you play
Click on the picture to
baseball, the more and more you
see a video on bunting.
will have to bunt.
• Another cool drill that I did a lot
when I was younger was soft toss.
• It is so easy to do that I had my
dad toss me balls in my basement.
• Soft toss is a drill where someone
sits at a 45 degree angle from the
hitter and tosses him or her balls
and lets them swing away.
• The main purpose of soft tossing
Click the picture to see a
is to get your timing down and
video on how to soft toss.
work on driving the ball up the
middle of the ball diamond.
• If I had a penny for every ground
ball I have taken in my life I would
have more money than Bill Gates.
• The best way to become the best
fielder that you possibly can is by
taking as many ground balls as you
• Get a bucket of balls and a partner
and go to a ball field and take
ground balls as much as possible.
Click the picture to see a video on
• It is the only way to get used to bad
the proper groundball technique.
hops and the unexpected things a
baseball can do.
• Other than ground balls another
good drill is to take fly balls.
• Taking fly balls as an outfielder
is a key to success just as much
as taking ground balls as an
• Taking fly ball repetitions is
good to do so that when it comes
Click the picture to see how to
to game time you can get good do proper fly ball technique.
jumps and read on the ball.
• A good exercise to do in order to gain
some arm strength is to do some long
• Long toss is pretty much just like playing
catch, but a little more intense.
• What you want to do is back up as far as
you can to where you can still make the
ball to your partner on a line, and throw
about 15 times as hard as you can.
• As soon as your done ice your arm and
do only 2x a week at the most, if you are
This picture is a good example of
a pitcher, you should do it 2 days after
two professional ball players playing
• Although baseball is not a very
tiring sport, you need to be in
good athletic shape to play.
• Conditioning is a big part of
baseball whether you are a pitcher
or a position player.
• As a pitcher you want to do a lot
of long distance running and as a
position player you want to do
more sprints so that you can have
that quickness and explosiveness
on the bases.
• Hitting off a Tee
▫ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4xgAzwgNb8 (Picture and Video)
▫ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naVqQ7kaDQY (Video)
▫ http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03jF49r8wv7og/610x.jpg (Picture)
• Soft Toss
▫ http://www.buildschampions.com/images/Soft_Toss2.JPG (Picture)
• Ground Balls
▫ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VQnI4P-cws (Video)
▫ http://z.about.com/d/baseball/1/0/i/B/-/-/vizquelfields2.jpg (Picture)
• Fly Balls
▫ http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2006/06/24/1151187786_1467.jpg (Picture)
▫ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NMnIlMUq5s (Video)
• Long Toss
▫ http://farm1.static.flickr.com/130/412114728_c403061dff.jpg?v=0 (Picture)
▫ http://silentarchimedes.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/rickey_henderson.jpg (Picture)