Little bit of info about myself.
*I transferred to MSUM from BSC this last spring
*I am majoring in sociology/criminal
justice(emphasis in political science); minor in
* My houseplants are the majority of my friends
• Watching good movies and shows.
• Working out
• Lobbying for human and reproductive rights
(did I fail to say I have no life? :P)
• Surfing the internet while I do these things
(besides while working out)
Information about Nicaragua
• Was a Spanish colony until recognized as an
independent country in 1850.
• Mostly a Spanish speaking country in central
America (90% of population speak Spanish or
• Predominately Catholic influence.
• Patriarchal society
• Four main geographic areas with somewhat
distinct cultural differences.
Women of Nicaragua
• Played a pivotal role in the Nicaragua
revolution of 1979.
• Constitution amended in 2006 stating life
starts at conception.
• Even therapeutic abortions became
• Women suffering from ectopic pregnancies
die in this country due to doctors’ fears of
Pictures of Nicaraguan women
women as activists against the a picture of a young girl with her child (this is
criminalization of all abortions. what women are expected of at an early age).
Role of Nicaraguan women
• More women are in the workforce since the
1979 revolution (up to at least 45% or more
share workforce with men)
• A women’s duty to raise her children is a
number 1 priority due to culture.
• Women are subservient to men
Facts about women of Nicaragua
• Domestic skills of women include pine needle
basket making which helps increase a
• Sometimes you’ll see a woman wear a
traditional miskito or Spanish dress for special
traditions and occasions.
• Despite the downfalls of a woman’s place, the
country is enriched with interwoven
culture, art and literature.