He manga wai koia kia
kore e whitikia.
Is a river never to be crossed?
Attempt to cross deep watersAttempt to cross deep waters
• Be ready
• Be dedicated to the objective
• Be open to learning from others
Whāia te iti kahurangi, ki
te tuohu koe me he
Pursue that which is precious, and do
not be deterred by anything less than
a lofty mountain.
Ko te pae tawhiti whāia
kia tata, ko te pae tata
whakamaua kia tina.
Seek out distant horizons, and
cherish those you attain.
Be resolute and committedBe resolute and committed
• Have vision
• Strive to bring that vision closer to realisation
• Be ever determined
• Find ways of creating benefits
• Be open minded, be reflective
• Better ways of thinking about and resolving
Tūngia te ururua, kia tupu
whakaritorito te tupu o te
Clear the undergrowth so that the
new shoots of the flax will grow.
kia tū ko
Strip away the bark and
expose the heartwood.
Be true to the causeBe true to the cause
• Be true to your values
• Be true to yourself
• Nothing can deter you from attaining what
you are striving for
• Develop a plan which avoids difficulties
• Know your own values and beliefs and the
assumptions they are based on
Ko koe ki tēnā, ko ahau ki
tēnei kīwai o te kete
You at that handle,
and I at this handle of the basket.
Mā pango, mā whero, ka
oti te mahi.
With black and with red the work is
United effort enables tasksUnited effort enables tasks
• Working together
• Sharing the workload
• Collective Responsibility