Analyzing Unmet Needs
• What are specific examples?
• Is there a chronic pattern negatively
• Are the unmet needs becoming more
serious as time passes?
• Is the student’s learning/behavior
significantly different from the
The 13 categories under IDEA include:
Deaf or Blindness
Other Health Impairments
Specific Learning Disabilities
Speech and Language Impairments
Traumatic Brain Injury
Qualified Person with a Disability
• Must have a physical or mental impairment
which substantially limits a major life activity
• Learning substantially limited if no
• Qualified person with disability must be
provided aids, benefits, or services as
effective as those provided non disabled
General Teaching Strategies
• Provide framework for learning.
Ex. Advance Organizer
• Model the processes and strategies.
Ex. Cognitive Training (Direct
• Present information in multiple ways.
Ex. Modeling/Story Telling
• Allow students to demonstrate learning in multiple ways.
Ex. Concept maps, oral test, role play
• Teach students to use memory strategy
Ex. Categorization, keyword method
• Teach self-management & self-monitoring.
• Use learning tool and aids.
Ex. Use of computers
• Adjust workload and time.
Mastery is more important!