Food Safety – In Class Activity
Students shall be completing research on Food safety for Food Handling in
The worksheet is concerning – A Food Poisoning Outbreak.
Using the Internet research one outbreak of Food Poisoning
- This can be in any state of Australia
- Any type of food establishment ( hotel, restaurant, café, fast food, small
take away shop, aged care facility)
Then you are to gather enough information regarding the incident to Answer
the following questions:
1. What is the name/location of the establishment?
2. When did the outbreak occur?
3. What particular type of food poisoning occurred?
4. What were the symptoms of the food poisoning?
5. How many people were affected?
6. Who and what was responsible?
7. How long before the customers/guests became ill & reported the illness?
8. What procedures did the establishment have in place regarding hygiene
procedures in the workplace?
9. How could this specific outbreak have been prevented from occurring?
10. What Government Department / Health Organization responded to &
reported the outbreak?
11. What were the consequences to the employer and employee of the
Ray Kelly Page 1 9/14/2009
Activity 1 – Production and Preparation