Supply led systems RNRRS
Demand- led systems
if this will
Demand in the
I need a
Push and Pull in Information Markets
•Push/supply = Identifying suitable
agricultural innovations and providing
them in local language and easy to use
formats through relevant communication
•Pull/demand = Build users capacity to
source, evaluate and apply information
in decision making
•Information intermediaries are the
interface between push and pull –
seed and input
What are the linkages?
To link actors requires development of
What are the information needs?
What information contents do they need?
Which technologies can they access?
What human resources / budget are
available for communications
What support can RIU provide to
encourage better linkages?
• How to make communication processes
• Diagnostic tool to help country teams
understand the existing communication
• Can be used at different levels – diagnostic of
platforms, NICs and policy context
• Identifying the key stakeholders and thinking
about how to influence them to make our
• Intermediaries are both institutions and
• Who are the communications champions in our
• Intermediaries need support
– to communicate with other actors in the coalition
– To communicate this information within their own
• How to use communication to strengthen the
NOPS Analysis – Needs, Opportunities,
• Needs • Problems
• What are the information needs of • What problems does my
my organisation? organisation face in contributing to
• Who do we need to communicate an innovation platform?
with? • What problems do we face in
• What technologies do we need to terms of connectivity?
• Opportunities • Solutions
• What groups do we have access • How could we collect and organise
to? the information demands within our
• How could we improve organisation?
communication to these groups? • What services could we offer to
• What tools could help us to do other members of the coalition in
this? return for support in key areas?
Methodologies for the tool box
• Developing contents – language, format, messages....
• Strengthening our network – building social capital
• Lessons from Value chain analysis
• Information markets
• Skills training
• Innovation systems – an interactive experience
• Science writing skills
• Radio listening clubs (PANOS)
• Your suggestions and demands........
Monitoring and Evaluation
•Communication needs to support user
groups to articulate demand.
•M&E needs to measure demand to
show that this has been enhanced
•How do we measure ‘into use’?
•Knowledge management explores the
explicit-tacit interface to show how user
groups incorporate new knowledge into
their existing skills set
•What are the strong and weak
•Environment for information and
•Trust building at network, coalition
and platform level
–More communication = more
• What is new? New linkages, new contents,
• What will it achieve? How does
communication support purpose r-i-u
• What can we learn?
– About creating linkages
– About building trust?
– About sharing knowledge and